Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1586728  by CR2721

So I have a question... my parents just recently moved/retired to Manchester Twp off Route 70 and they told me today that they hear a toot of a train horn at least once a day, clear as day.

My question is, is this maintenance of way on the Southern in Lakehurst? Are there any trains working this line that we don't know about? Is this someone in the area that owns a train horn and attached to their vehicle?

Many questions, maybe you guys can shed some input on this.
 #1586729  by R&DB

Train horn on vehicle. The person appartly lives in Lakehurst or Whiting area. There hasn't been a loco in that area for about 11 years. Are they East or West of Lakehurst?
Last edited by R&DB on Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1586751  by Bracdude181

The train will be leaving Woodhaven shortly. Not sure how far back they will get but I don’t think they’re gonna make it back to Brown’s. I predict they will make it as far as Collingswood auction. Maybe Red Bank if fly up there faster than greased lightning.
 #1586756  by Bracdude181

Looks like I was wrong. A Jitney is coming to pick the crew up at Woodhaven.

Will stick around to see if they have a crew to take it back. Otherwise someone’s gotta pick this up early in the morning. I don’t see them doing three separate trains out of Browns with one engine.
 #1586758  by trainfann101

Bracdude181 wrote:Looks like I was wrong. A Jitney is coming to pick the crew up at Woodhaven.

Will stick around to see if they have a crew to take it back. Otherwise someone’s gotta pick this up early in the morning. I don’t see them doing three separate trains out of Browns with one engine.
You mean no engines? There were only the two at the yard today…
 #1586767  by Bracdude181

Oookay. So there’s no crew available to bring this train back and apparently there’s also a big engine shortage in North Jersey due to multiple engines breaking down at once! Unsure when they will go back, but they are gonna take an engine out of Port Reading so that way they have power for SA-3 tomorrow at least.
 #1586768  by trainfann101

Bracdude181 wrote:Oookay. So there’s no crew available to bring this train back and apparently there’s also a big engine shortage in North Jersey due to multiple engines breaking down at once! Unsure when they will go back, but they are gonna take an engine out of Port Reading so that way they have power for SA-3 tomorrow at least.
Per who? Is this confirmed?