Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1583116  by Bracdude181

Hmm. Well if they didn’t do a flying switch then what happened? How did that car get pushed so far back and into those 55 gallon drums of hydraulic fluid?

Also forgot to mention that the car was never unloaded either, which could mean whatever happened occurred either during or not long after the car was placed there.
 #1583129  by pumpers

Somewhat off topic but all started by RR posts.
Ken W2KB wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:43 am From my understanding of the NJBPU and PJM RTO proceedings documentation, a new substation to connect the submarine cables to the existing 138,000 Volt transmission line at Beesleys Point will be built. The capacity of the existing transmission line is in the vicinity of 450 megawatts so there will be large transformers, reactors, and other substantially sized equipment that will be delivered. ...
Ken, thanks for posting that. I have been very interested in how all that offshore wind power will get inland to the NJ grid. Conveniently the Oyster Creek nuke plant has shutdown, which gives ~600 MW(?) of capacity from the bay to the NJ grid backbone. I have read that "they" (presumably NJPBU, PJM, and the windmill folks ) are planning to potentially double(?) the capacity on the same ROW. (don' t know how the windmill power will cross the coastal strip to get to they bay, though?

I had forgotten about Beesley's tie-in being available, which does have the advantage of rail infrastructure (and presumably that transmission line could be upgraded as well. Do you know any good reference sites on NJ grid plans and timelines to support offshore wind?
JS
PS. interesting seeing your post about the buried cable (~600 MW) in the NYSW Edgewater tunnel on its way to NYC. I didn't realize how compact such lines could be, as an alternative to the usual HV towers we see for transmission lines that people complain about.. THere must be a catch to the cables,,,
 #1583130  by RailsEast

My sources (me) tell me that the train is approaching Eatontown at 4:45 in the pm. CSX 6159 shf + 6 lumber.

Also, fyi, a flying switch maneuver is performed on a facing point switch for the crew which would not be the case on the return run for Brick Recycling. So no "flying" in this scenario. Plus...their switch is at the crest of a small grade (if they tried a flying maneuver southbound) and that would require balls of steel to attempt and complete.
http://njtwom.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... id=2296096

Chris
 #1583137  by Bracdude181

@RailsEast Oh then I got it mixed up. I think they kicked the car into the siding. You know, where the train pushes one car and the conductor uncouples it?

I’ll have the pictures uploaded tomorrow. The car did indeed hit some 55 gallon drums of hydraulic fluid.

SA31 through Asbury road with CSX 6159 and 6 cars. (I presume all are lumber)

The old crew that’s been driving the train for the last two years has returned. Hopefully the train will be a little more consistent from now on.
 #1583157  by JohnFromJersey

Any time someone has information that will fall under "speculation," I'd suggest posting pictures (if possible and/or legal) of said information.

In addition, just six cars this week? The loads have been getting shorter and shorter; the last couple weeks have been the first time in a while I've seen a single engine rather than two traverse the line.
 #1583158  by Bracdude181

@JohnFromJersey Lumber prices went way up again. Might he like this for a while.

Crew says they are tying down at Woodhaven. Woodhaven was not drilled and the train was not turned around. I guess their shift ended?

Perhaps someone will pick this up tomorrow and take it back. Probably either SA31 or PR19. If not then I think we can expect another Sunday return. Didn’t get the chance to ask what happened at Marjam. Will try to get the pictures uploaded when I get home.

The crossings at County Line and Route 88 did not function. Near miss at Route 9 when a car ran around the line of traffic stopped at the crossing on the shoulder. Train missed it by about 10-15 feet.