Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1577783  by cx4storm

Started receiving and decoding HOT device data on the base radio at my house, approximately 2.5 east of the Squankum crossing. No EOT data yet. The signal strength of each packet is increasing, so I presume they are moving. When I start receiving EOT data, it will indicate if it is in motion.

https://groups.io/g/SoftEOT
 #1577787  by Bracdude181

@cx4storm Just curious, are you familiar with the other railroad radio bands in use in NJ? If so, could you perhaps post here if you hear anything about the train calling into Red Bank?
 #1577793  by cx4storm

Here is a screenshot of the SOftEOT software in use:

Packet Display Window Field Identifiers

SIG - Signal Strength
SRC - Source (HOT or EOT)
ID - ID Code assigned to the EOT
RR - User Defined Railroad
SYMB- User Defined Train Symbol
BP - Brake Pipe Pressure
MOT - Motion Status (1 Moving 0 Stationary)
MRK - Marker Light Status (1 On 0 Off)
BATST- Battery Status
BATCU- Battery Charge Used)
TRB - Air Turbine Equipped (1 Yes 0 No)
CMD - Command
TYP - Message Type
VLV - Emergency Valve Health
CNF - Two-Way Link Confirmation

Movement Window Field Identifiers

BPMIN - Minimum Brake Pipe Pressure
BPMAX - Maximum Brake Pipe Pressure
NPKT - Number of Packlets
DUR - Duration
 #1577794  by Bracdude181

Wow. EOT/HOT tech is more complex than I thought. Look at everything it monitors! I’m starting to see how these are part of the reason we don’t see cabooses anymore.
 #1577795  by cx4storm

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:21 am @cx4storm Just curious, are you familiar with the other railroad radio bands in use in NJ? If so, could you perhaps post here if you hear anything about the train calling into Red Bank?
Yes I am. I have several radios and here. I have a few radios programmed with all the AAR channels. I'm only limited by my antenna height. I can't hear the train calling into Red Bank. It's just too far. I can hear the dispatcher just fine. I also occasionally hear the CSAO dispatcher and the train on AAR Channel 50 (160.8600). Sometimes I'm able to hear the conductor and engineer talking when they flag a crossing or can sometimes hear them drilling Woodhaven. A lot depends on the atmospheric conditions at the time. Unfortunately I have a Dr's. appointment at 1330. I'm a bit pressed for time and am getting ready to leave now. I'll try and be around later.
I hope this answers your questions. If not feel free to ask more.

73 for now.

-Kev
 #1577807  by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

Train through Tinton Falls, 3:22pm. Horn is loud as HELL

Not sure what it is or which way it’s going. Sounds like 4432’s K5LA. Haven’t been keeping up with this thread so idk
 #1577809  by Bracdude181

That would be 4432. Whatever the symbol is I’m not certain.

If he’s in Tinton Falls now it won’t be long before he gets to the Coast Line. If your chasing, I’d head off to Red Bank and get the shot of him coming through the station.
 #1577811  by GSC

4432 came down alone, SHF, so it's LHF going back. And the long hood horn is quite loud.
 #1577812  by GSC

A bit of a tangent, but still Southern related.

Driving professionally over the years, I didn't get to enjoy much scenery, keeping my eyes on the road. Yesterday, I was a passenger for a change. ("Gee! Look at all the great stuff I never saw before!")

I've always loved tracing old ROWs and the Raritan & Delaware Bay has always intrigued me. While going east on Rt 36 in Belford, I saw it! Remnants of the R&DB ROW! It couldn't be anything else.

Off to Google maps and the satellite views showed most of it still intact, little encroachment. You can find it easy enough, really evident on the south side of Rt 36. Just past the Middletown Trailer Supply (you can't miss all those black utility trailers) and just before the E Road traffic light, you'll see an open stretch of land lined with telephone poles. That's the old ROW. Check Google maps and you can see so much of it.

Google maps makes it easy to trace some of the ROWs, such as in Waretown where the Tuckerton RR curves south to run alongside the CNJ Barnegat Branch, and from Eatontown to eastern Long Branch. Fascinating stuff.
 #1577834  by R&DB

#1577812 by GSC
Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:04 pm
Gary;
Yes many former ROWs can be found on sat views. TheR&DB can be traced it's entire length.
 #1578047  by Tanker1497

Did anyone see or post this info in reference to F&S Connection and Upgrade - Phase I monies the Dover & Delaware received? This was from an April 2021 hearing this is two combined slide's presented at that meeting. I added the link. If nothing else the Southern from Woodmansie to Wislow has not been completely ruled out or forgotten!

• “Blue Comet” route: an abandoned segment of
former Central of NJ line between Woodmansie and
Winslow.
• 2008 Tier II Screening Report and 2014 Freight Rail
Strategic Plan addressed potential for reactivating
this line.
• New study to update market justification and
identify next steps nearly completed
• Limited north-south rail movement today;
some limited truck to rail diversion potential;
little opportunity for rail-served industrial
growth along the Blue Comet route due to
Pinelands.
• Pressing need for high clearance national rail
network connectivity (east-west) for SJ ports
and other SJ rail customers
Blue Comet route not the best solution to
east-west high clearance access due to
circuity and restrictions north of Woodmansie
– but the corridor must be protected and
preserved for possible future use.
• Other near-term solutions for east-west
access must be explored, in partnership with
DVRPC, the state of Pennsylvania, and
operating railroads:
• Clearances in the Phila area
• Existing vs new connections
• Innovative options (floats, etc.)

https://www.njtpa.org/NJTPA/media/Docum ... 041921.pdf
 #1578060  by Bracdude181

@Tanker1497 Very interesting find. Funnily enough some of those mentioned pointers have been talked about on here. Maybe there is hope for Woodmansie-Winslow after all...
 #1578075  by Bracdude181

Still no sign of SA31 in South Amboy. Hasn’t called in either, but I believe I hear the train idling on the Church Running Track.