Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1571503  by Bracdude181

@NY&LB The school bus thing was something I found out in high-school. My school district payed a private firm for transportation and sometimes the drivers would tell me stuff lol.

As for 4452 and 4432, I took a vocational school class on internal combustion engines so I have some knowledge on how they work and identifying problems.

4452 leaks so much oil that it’s completely covered some of the tracks in browns, and 4432 has no pulling power. I’ve got a feeling that engine is actually a GP38-2S, which is a CSX rebuild program to try and make GP40s more fuel efficient.

The results of that seem very mixed. Some came out fine while others have come out horrible.

Anyone remember CSX 4441? That engine was a GP38-2S and it was universally hated by North Jersey crews. No power, and it sounded awful too.
 #1571508  by CharlieL

I am not surprised that the locomotives being used on the southern are older and coming due for overhaul or replacement. No sense in CSX letting CRSA use state-of -the-art power on what is essentially a cake-walk run when it could be used more profitably hauling mile-long revenue freight. The Pennsy did the same with their old obsolete and just about worn-out K4s's on the NJCL back in the day. Can't get much flatter than South Amboy to Bay Head. Same goes for NS if they had PTC.
 #1571511  by Bracdude181

@CharlieL Conrail Shared Assets generally sticks with geeps and SDs which serve them pretty well for the most part. The larger trains North Jersey moves for its parent companies are between Port Reading and Oak Island, where they usually use the larger 6 axle GE power to move certain trains. Elsewhere, there isn’t really a need for lots of power. It seems many of the broken engines end up in North Jersey unfortunately. Not all are bad but there’s certainly an abundance of engines that desperately need rebuilds.

I’ve noticed that CSX appears to be sending more geeps to Progress Rail (who currently owns EMD) nowadays versus their own rebuild program which adds the “spongebob” cab. CSX 4406 is one of them and now that engine is far more reliable, efficient, and has a lot more power. Before it’s rebuild, it was one of the worst. No power, major leaks, and huge smoke clouds whenever the engine moved. It smelled horrendous too.

As for NS, nearly every engine I’ve seen from them in the past six months is in need of an overhaul. Especially the 5600 series geeps. Dear lord, I pray I never have to see some of those again!
 #1571689  by OportRailfan

NJTMonmouthCoastline wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:58 pm I just remembered that the Paterson Ave Signal has an A sign below it.

Meaning that the signal has no block or track information

It will always show a yellow or green aspect.

According to NORAC Rule number 293-b & 293-c
Like you said, it does not convey block occupancy (the condition of the tracks between that signal and the next one). It governs movement up to the Home signal.

Think of it as a controlled distant signal. Without the plans in front of me I'm just speculating, but it's probably controlled by line circuits from BANK. E.g. Approach restricting if the signal is not displayed at BANK, and Approach Clear with the signal displayed off the Southern into the Interlocking.

PTC is a totally different animal, don't even get into that there haha (especially at a junction of signaled vs. non-signaled, and the transition between two railroads.)
 #1571690  by NJTMonmouthCoastline

Bracdude181 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:50 pm @CharlieL Conrail Shared Assets generally sticks with geeps and SDs which serve them pretty well for the most part. The larger trains North Jersey moves for its parent companies are between Port Reading and Oak Island, where they usually use the larger 6 axle GE power to move certain trains. Elsewhere, there isn’t really a need for lots of power. It seems many of the broken engines end up in North Jersey unfortunately. Not all are bad but there’s certainly an abundance of engines that desperately need rebuilds.

I’ve noticed that CSX appears to be sending more geeps to Progress Rail (who currently owns EMD) nowadays versus their own rebuild program which adds the “spongebob” cab. CSX 4406 is one of them and now that engine is far more reliable, efficient, and has a lot more power. Before it’s rebuild, it was one of the worst. No power, major leaks, and huge smoke clouds whenever the engine moved. It smelled horrendous too.

As for NS, nearly every engine I’ve seen from them in the past six months is in need of an overhaul. Especially the 5600 series geeps. Dear lord, I pray I never have to see some of those again!
Can you please clarify CSX 4406 “Rebuild” I don’t think it had an actual rebuild but do you mean in a minor term?

@coast Line Railfan isn’t sure either.
 #1571723  by RailsEast

OportRailfan wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:46 pm
NJTMonmouthCoastline wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:58 pm I just remembered that the Paterson Ave Signal has an A sign below it.

Meaning that the signal has no block or track information

It will always show a yellow or green aspect.

According to NORAC Rule number 293-b & 293-c
Like you said, it does not convey block occupancy (the condition of the tracks between that signal and the next one). It governs movement up to the Home signal.

Think of it as a controlled distant signal. Without the plans in front of me I'm just speculating, but it's probably controlled by line circuits from BANK. E.g. Approach restricting if the signal is not displayed at BANK, and Approach Clear with the signal displayed off the Southern into the Interlocking.

PTC is a totally different animal, don't even get into that there haha (especially at a junction of signaled vs. non-signaled, and the transition between two railroads.)
From the Conrail timetable.....
NOTE 2: Cab Signal Test Rack in service south of Patterson Ave., Shrewsbury
 #1571809  by GSC

Any news on Southern activity today? Might take the grandkids to see SA31 if it's running.
 #1571819  by Bracdude181

@GSC I’m down the road from Browns, I’ll post on SA31 once they leave.

Did anyone hear something over Coast Line Dispatch about having to call Conrail for something? If so, what for?