Railroad Forums 

• CR leased back power

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#621813  by bluegrass-express

I posted this photo relative to LA&L forum topic on #38, with Conrail GP38 #0101 leading a mainline freight.
http://bluegrass-express.rrpicturearchi ... id=1344795

Someone called me on the road#, but I think I recall CR spun off some power and leased it back, renumbered with leading zeroes. I think it was done for financial reasons, to get the engines off the roster. Can anyone verify this?
 #621936  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

We had some 0800's in the last days of Conrail. I think I kept the general order (G.O.) listing them.
 #622102  by lvrr325

It was a computer problem, I remember being told at the time, or reading somewhere. Conrail's computer systems weren't programmed to allow for locomotives with fewer than four digit numbers. (I never got much of an answer when I asked how they could contend with Amtrak locomotive numbering, though).

The CRL was an issue, too, because it was already in use as a reporting mark. But a batch of SD40's became 0800s, there were GP38s in the 0200s, some U23Bs got 0400 numbers, and so on. I have a CR T&HS bulletin with some of the discussion. Ultimately this led to the LMS 700s (the last of which got CR lettering) which were shared with CN (and some of which went to CN/IC after the split).
 #625274  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

I found one of my old CR "weekly bullitins" from june 1994. SP-19 reads: Engine numbers changed SD-40 #6240 to 6265 are renumbered 0800 to 0814. SD40 locomotive 6274 renumbered 0610. Hope this helps..........
 #627096  by crazyawper

It is great,your opinion is very novelty thanks very much guy!