Railroad Forums 

• CR & Mansfield, OH GM Plant

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#707916  by rrfoose

General Motors had a plant (until the flock of recent closures) in Mansfield (Ontario), Ohio. It's on an ex-EL line and went to NS after the breakup. I believe it was a body plant (for what frames?), and am curious as to where parts came in from and then where the frames went out to for assembly? Any help? Thanks!
Chase
 #708036  by nkpcar

The NS used to run a turn from Mansfield to Bellevue that was (almost) exclusively auto parts out of this plant. They then would be sorted and sent on. Before Buckeye Yard closed in Columbus there were Pittsburgh-Buckeye trains that I assumed would have picked up there as well. When Buckeye was closed, those trains were to be shifted to Bellevue and the turn job would be abolished. With the plant closing it is all moot anymore. Not claiming to be an expert here, just passing on what I have read and observed.

Jim Mihalek
Lakeville, MN