Railroad Forums 

• CR 47004 - Police Training Car

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#184724  by M.R. Snell

Looking for info concerning CR 47004. It was a streamlined coach used as some form of training car by the Conrail PD, then later Conrail Operation Lifesaver.

Any help is appreciated, other than two pix of the car, that's all I've got & I'd really like to know what the car was, when it transitioned, where it roamed, etc.

-M

#231172  by Smtimko

The Conrail Police Training car was not part of the OCS fleet, it was considered M of W equipment.

The car was kept at Pitcairn Yard, east of Pittsburgh, Pa and was assigned to Terminal Superintendent Max Solomon and the CR Captain of Police in Pittsburgh.

The car was used for the annual Santa Clause Specials at Etna, Aspinwall, Bridgeville, etc. I had the car in Sharon, PA one year for an Easter festivity for the Downtown Sharon Merchants.

The car was also used on local Pittsburgh Division shippers trips and OLS presentations that were small enough that the OCS trains were not required. McGruff, the Crime Dog, played by a local CR Yardmaster used the car frequently to educate local children of the dangers of playing on or near the tracks. It strictly was a Pittsburgh Division feature.

SMT

#231276  by M.R. Snell

Thanks. I appreciate the info!

At some point the car's graphics were changed to the standard OL lettering & gate. Was this also a Pittsburgh Div doing or was the car released sytemwide? Would you happen to know the timeframe of the changeover?

I'm told the car is now a restaurant in Cincinnati Ohio if you were wondering what ever became of it.

Thanks again! Have a great day!

-Matt Snell

#231661  by glennk419

I'm not sure if it's the same car but there is/was a Conrail Police Training car stored on the Blue Mountain and Reading RR in South Hamburg, PA. I recall seeing it when riding the excursions on that line several years ago. It fits the description above, it is possible there was more than one?

#231845  by M.R. Snell

There were 2 that I'm aware of. CR 47004 was a Budd built stainless car. PD-1 "The Atlantic" was an ex-NYC heavyweight car painted in dark blue with red & white stripes. The PD-1 was assigned to north Jersey.

The PD-1 was sold to a private owner sometime in the 80's (from what I've been told.) The 47004 became a restaurant a in Ohio a few years ago.

I imagine it's possible that the 47004 was stored at the RBMN for awhile prior to the move. Or could it have been the PD-1?

-M