Railroad Forums 

• CPR Line Through Winona, MN

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#321399  by enjoythesilence

Do any engineers or conductors make runs on this line quite often? I'm a college student living in Winona right by the tracks and a railfan. Just curious, I heard a rumor that CPR was talking about running over 50+ trains through here a day?

#321416  by Aji-tater

Hmmmmmm.....someone brand new, with a screen name "enjoy the silence", claiming to be a railfan but asking about rumors of increased traffic on a rail line. Do I smell a NIMBY?

#321503  by enjoythesilence

Aji-tater wrote:Hmmmmmm.....someone brand new, with a screen name "enjoy the silence", claiming to be a railfan but asking about rumors of increased traffic on a rail line. Do I smell a NIMBY?
actually no. don't be so quick to judge. I made the screen name "enjoythesilence" because it's a song from Depeche Mode. I actually am a railfan, not a extreme one, I don't go watching and take pictures and all that garbage. I was asking because whenever they do come through town they always cause major traffic jams. I had an apprenticeship program with BNSF when i was in high school working in the yard with a trainmaster. Decided against the railroad and am half a semester away from being a certified automotive tech.

#321529  by Aji-tater

OK ETS, I'll accept that explanation. I'm not real familiar with that Deep Commode group but I have heard the name. And the fact that you checked out being a TM and chucked it says you DO have a clue ;-) I'm just aji-tating things a bit!

All that behind us, I'm not familiar with the line you ask about but no doubt someone here will be able to answer. If you don't get an answer here in a couple days try posting on the CP Rail forum.

#321560  by enjoythesilence

Do you work for CPR?

#321626  by Aji-tater

No, I haven't worked for them. Not yet anyway.
 #321679  by Komachi

WINONA. :-D

Ah yes, takes me back to the days of my youth (well, if recalling your college days of ten years ago from the perspective of the ripe old age of 30 can be considered going back to "the days of your youth...").

Winona State. Practically living in Minne Hall (I was a CJ major at the time) and hanging out in the "smaug" with my cronies. Living at Lourdes was nice, rolling out of bed and down to either breakfast or one of my classes (it was a "residential college" at the university) was nice, especially on one of our wonderful, "brisk" Minnesota winter mornings.

(Winona State Alumni will understand the above, although, I believe enjoythesilence is a WRWTC (Winona-Red Wing Technical College) student.)

And bringing the conversation back to railroading...

Living at Lourdes was also nice, as I was within a block or two of the former location of "Tower CK." One of my favorite things to do in the early fall and late spring (or an occasional "warm" winter) day, would be to walk along second street and see what activity I could find either down at the "big" C&NW/UP (hey, I started classes at WSU in '95, just after the merger!) yard, the D&ME yard the C&NW yard down by Bay State Milling, the "street running" on Wall St. or the activity over at the Soo Line/CP yard/tracks. Mostly what I saw were the Soo/CP freights running through town and the occasional BNSF coal drag (which usually ran through town when I was trying to get to class).

I even belonged to the Winona Railroad Club while I was there. Those guys might know something about this (don't know if you're a member, but if you are, I'd ask either Jeff or Bill).

Good times... good times.

However, I'm not sure what the current plans are for CP in and around Winona. Will have to do some digging to see what I can find. Otherwise, the CP crewpeople would be the "experts" on that topic.