Railroad Forums 

• CP Track Upgrades & Infrastructure of CMQ

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1557632  by CN9634

I just reread the excerpt and I don’t know if Mark did a stellar job unpacking here (he usually does great though so that’s not a dig) as he mentions rail dwell but there is no real talk about on dock dwell. CP can only control the fluidity of the rail network, so if they are saying marine terminal to rail ramp I’m thinking he heads Port to inland destination but also dwell at their own rail ramps. They say transit times of 24, 48, 70 hours then I would guess the rail dwell being how quickly they can mount the boxes inland. The overall point though I take from it is CP has existing capacity in their footprint (CN has been seeing ridiculous dwell at their ramps and have a reservation system that is a nightmare) to add trains and containers to their network. With a fluid network you can move those containers off dock to the rail you can certainly increase annual TEU throughout. Something that CP will need to address if they do add a steamship call or two to SJ is sidings in Quebec and Maine, both condition, length and automation all factors. I suspect they’d need to add one long one in Maine on a CTC island and probably at least 2 or 3 in QC likewise. NBSR side will be another factor, and I’m sure CP will need to put up some coin.
 #1557637  by backroadrails

If Irving had any intention to sell, they would have done it already. With potentially a second Class 1 trying to pull stacks out of St John, it will just play into Irvings hand. If anything I suspect you will see Irving keeping the rail system they have established. The only way I could see them exiting the rail business is when the lease for MNR expires, and if another operator (we will say CP in this case) got it, it would diminish any need to own NBSR since they are not in full control of the supply chain.
 #1557640  by F74265A

CN9634 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:10 pm Something that CP will need to address if they do add a steamship call or two to SJ is sidings in Quebec and Maine, both condition, length and automation all factors.
I’m betting cp rebuilds a few sidings next construction season
Last edited by MEC407 on Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: EXCESSIVE QUOTING
 #1557652  by CN9634

backroadrails wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:59 pm If Irving had any intention to sell, they would have done it already. With potentially a second Class 1 trying to pull stacks out of St John, it will just play into Irvings hand. If anything I suspect you will see Irving keeping the rail system they have established. The only way I could see them exiting the rail business is when the lease for MNR expires, and if another operator (we will say CP in this case) got it, it would diminish any need to own NBSR since they are not in full control of the supply chain.
That isn't necessarily true and I think CP will own the line from Brownville to Saint John at some point in the future. Typically you don't see a series of big transactions strung together in a short amount of time (remember CP just bought the tunnel for a pretty penny), and it's yet to be determined how CP will cement it's future on the Windsor-Chicago portion of its network.

My thought is that Irving will retain some kind of railroad operation as MNR and agreement for overhead rights on the east-west and yard/branch portion, and CP owns the wood, steel and stone. That's the only way I can see that 200 or so mile segment getting up to full standards someday on CP's dime, they'll need control of that line. If not, you've staked a big investment and future on coming up 'close enough' without a real control of your own destiny. Besides, Irving owned the land and ROW of that line for years before CP discontinued operations, so a co-existence has existed in some form before, and it may again. Irving has invested heavily into MNR, including a car shop up to Oakfield so that seems to be pretty rooted to me.

Stranger things have happened, but I think CP still has a few checks to write in the near future.
 #1557915  by CPF363

CN9634 wrote: Typically you don't see a series of big transactions strung together in a short amount of time (remember CP just bought the tunnel for a pretty penny), and it's yet to be determined how CP will cement it's future on the Windsor-Chicago portion of its network.
Chicago to Detroit is the biggest gap in the CP system. Now with the tunnel in their ownership, going to be interesting to see what how they can get more flexibility in running more trains on that segment via both on CSX and NS. Too bad that NS was not getting ready to sell the old Michigan Central Kalamazoo line today, would not be surprised to see CP consider it as another Chicago-Detroit line if it were available.
 #1562694  by CN9634

Getting ready for a busy season, ground thaw is only a few short months away! But its common on Class Is to dump rail in winter, and then stage ties or whatever other materials as snow begins to melt. Ensures crews are ready to hit the ground running come May (or if they can April) and since CP has a robust pipeline of traffic for Saint John in 2021, trackwork is paramount.
 #1562731  by Cowford

Chicago to Detroit is the biggest gap in the CP system. Now with the tunnel in their ownership, going to be interesting...
Don't ignore the "obstruction" next to the "gap". The tunnel ownership change provides CP more control over their destiny, but tunnel clearance restrictions remain.
 #1566453  by CN9634

Wood, stone and steel.

CWR from the Winchester sub has been dropped in many places from Bodfish area all the way through Greenville Jct and up towards Moosehead. Another train or two are being scooped up now to be dropped in the coming weeks west of Moosehead. After that they’ll close the gap on the 25MPH from Tarratine to Brownville Jct with stone and tie work. Also trackwork on the BAR is planned in several spots, that is mostly rail anchors, ties and stone as I understand it but maybe some rail mixed in too.
 #1566786  by NHV 669

WGRF claims that today's 142 is continuing on to BVJ under that symbol and not as 250, OD with a new crew in Montreal as of 30 minutes ago.

Figured they'd wait to have more 40mph track to run these trains through.
 #1566835  by CN9634

I reported it about a month ago on the CP forum... trouble of having two forums for CP and CMQ I guess.... but yes the long term plan is to do this but not sure it will stick at the moment.

The MAERSK PENANG is a high profile test for long term business so they are doing it for that. Also trying to stick some Canadian Tire business to the tune of 20-30 per day at highest potential volume. We shall see....
 #1589488  by MEC407

Nice to see some decent train speeds on the Searsport Branch again. Video by drc930:

https://youtu.be/elp7rm_Uw5c?t=212