Railroad Forums 

• CP to acquire Central Maine & Quebec Railway

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#1531824  by CN9634

I'm at a crossroads-- post CMQ sightings here?

CP (red) container made it across the system to link up with the NBSR. Told it is another test to see where current transit times are and I assume this will be unloaded at DP World again since I'm unaware of any capability changes from NBSR to do so.

CP hi-rails have been spotted around Sherbrooke area, I guess this indicates the engineering dept. is still working on planned upgrades.

Motive power and other operations on CMQ remained unchanged, only news is STB has set into motion the timeline for an official Day 1 of June 3rd assuming there is no major heartburn elsewhere in the process.
 #1531881  by CN9634

CP announced today a new intermodal service to Saint John via the 'CMQR'. The test container being not just a test, but also a publicity piece for the announcement. It's on their Twitter page, I'm sure will spread to other medias shortly, but the intermodal customers have been informed.
 #1533733  by fromway

CN is initiating progressive and orderly shutdown of its eastern Canadian network, including VIA, due to blockade in Ontario. They are waiting for Ontario to enforce a court order to stop the blockade. Maybe, CP can take advantage of the situation to kick start the SJ traffic.
 #1541672  by johnpbarlow

To provide a few more details to what was posted above, as of 5/4/20, STB has officially approved CP's acquisition of CMQ's US ops and in the process has also denied Pan Am's request for trackage rights. Also denied was MMA's Trustee request to postpone the transaction until all Lac Megantic related litigation involving CP is resolved.
STB's door for petitions to reconsider its approval of the transaction is open until May 26 and requests for stay must be filed by June 10.

STB decision effectivity date is June 18, 2020.

https://dcms-external.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... /50223.pdf
 #1542734  by Pensyfan19

CP Rail's acquisition was just approved by the STB.

From Progressive Railroading: https://www.progressiverailroading.com/ ... ine--60459
The U.S. Surface Transportation Board (STB) earlier this month approved Canadian Pacific's acquisition, through subsidiary Soo Line Corp., of Central Maine & Quebec Railway US Inc. (CMQR US) from Fortress Transportation and Infrastructure Investors LLC.

The STB decision, made on May 1 and issued May 4, is subject to standard employee protective conditions.

Initially, the STB determined its decision would take effect June 18. However, CP/Soo Line officials asked the board to clarify that date because the company initially planned to integrate the railroads on June 3. Delaying the effective date to June 18 would complicate those transition plans, they said.

In response, the board on May 8 issued a separate ruling that states its approval of the acquisition is effective June 3.

CP announced Dec. 30, 2019, that it completed the acquisition subject to STB approval. The acquisition provides CP customers with "seamless, safe and efficient access" to ports at Searsport, Maine, and to Saint John, New Brunswick, via Eastern Maine Railway Co. and New Brunswick Southern Railway, CP officials said at the time.

CMQR US owns and operates 244.2 miles of rail line in Vermont and Maine and also has the right to operate on 57.25 miles leased form the Maine Department of Transportation.

Also, CP/Soo Line will acquire 236.81 route miles from CMQR Canada and will seek approval from Canadian authorities for that acquisition, the STB decision noted.