Railroad Forums 

• CP Swift (NEC)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#36977  by CR80MAC

Just wondering if anyone knows what track the NJT tracks come off of for Kearny Jct. Also are there any crossovers here to access it from both tracks? Thanks

#36993  by Jtgshu

Swift is a complete interlocking, not a control point (CP), meaning trains can switch from one track to another in both directions.

The two Amtrak main tracks in the area are 2 and 3, 2 being the "normal eastbound" and 3 being the "normal westbound" Track 6 comes up from the M and E and joins track 2, while Track 5 is the track that meets track 3.

Going east, the switch for 6 to 2, then a crossover for 2 to 3, then the switch from 5 to 3, then a crossover from 3 to 2.

I trying diong a diagram on here, but it didn't work...so thats the best I could explain it

#37171  by Jersey_Mike

Swift is a complete interlocking, not a control point (CP), meaning trains can switch from one track to another in both directions.
Right answer wrong explanation. Amtrak did not follow Conrail into the whole "prefixing everything that is not a tower with a CP" mentality. A comtrol point is a point, it has no length. An interlocking has length. An interlocking does not necessarily have to have interlocking appliances (example MARK on SEPTA or VALLEY on 2 track on the Harrisburg Line). You cannot reverse direction w/o permission in an interlocking. You can reverse if you train is straddling a CP.

#37180  by Jtgshu

Sorry for the unclear explaination and wording. What I meant to say, was that there are two types of interlockings (with switches) incomplete, and complete. An INcomplete interlocking would be, for example, Elmora interlocking, where there is no switches between tracks 2 and 3. A trian cannot get from the furthest track to the other furthest track, and be able to in both directions.

A good example of a COMPLETE interlocking would be Ham, where it is a large X - a train can get form the 0 track to 5, and from 5 to 0 in both the east and west direction. Swift is complete, because a train can go from 2 to 3 and 3 to 2, both west and east.

#37194  by TR-00

Wrong answer, Mike. You certainly can reverse within an interlocking (and it's done every day) without verbal permission. One way is by signal indication, and the other is by schedule authority.

Example: An Atlantic City train arrives southbound at 30th Street, and is scheduled to depart northbound. No intervention from the dispatcher is required. The crew changes ends, and departs at the scheduled time.

Reversing at a CP is possible, but the crew must comply with the rules in effect at that location.

#37276  by thebigc

Jtgshu wrote: An INcomplete interlocking would be, for example, Elmora interlocking, where there is no switches between tracks 2 and 3. A trian cannot get from the furthest track to the other furthest track, and be able to in both directions.
The crossovers between 2 and 3 were finally removed? Haven't been down there in a while, obviously. They used to be 15mph switches, too. Pretty useless.

#37331  by Jtgshu

Yes, they are gone, but in my eyes, its a stupid move, but what do I know....

I know not part of the interlocking, but the Linden park ind track switch was ripped otu about 1 1/2 years ago. The only breaks in the rail now on A and B are Linden yard off of A and Virginia Barrel off of B at Union.

The current configuration, going east would be A into 1, 1 to 2, then 2 to 1
Going west, 3 to 4, 4 to B, then another 3 to 4 after the 4 to B switch.

There should be another switch, west of the A into 1 switch, that would allow trains on 1 to cross to 2, while letting trains from A to 1 continue on and not get stop signal and have to wait for the other train to clear up ahead. This works good going westbound, as there can be simulatious movements of trians from 4 to B, and 3 to 4 with that extra switch. Thats what they need going east too.

When was the last time you were down the Corridor adn Coast Line, bigc?

#37376  by timz

I think I could dig up the GO saying Elmora's 2-3 and 3-2 x-overs were removed. Maybe 1991?