Railroad Forums 

• CP's route across Michigan?

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#884345  by train2

What route does CP take to run from Chicago to Canada at Detroit/Windsor?

I remember seeing a headline in one of the rail magazines about CP changing routes sometime in the last year or two. I was looking at a friend's copy of the magazine and did not get the full details.

Can anyone elaborate as to what route they ran vs what route the change was made to. Please include any crew change locations, it you know them?

(Was this change any chance on CN and not CP?)
T2

PS I know CP got out of the New York market. Have they made any other similar changes in the last year or two?
 #884366  by mtuandrew

CP uses Conrail Shared Assets to Fordson in Detroit, and at least previously, CSX's ex-Pere Marquette line to the Chicago area. From there, I suspect they used the Indiana Harbor Belt to get to their trackage at Bensenville Yard.

It's vague, but from this map (http://www8.cpr.ca/cms/NR/rdonlyres/e7p ... 8large.gif) it looks like CP may have added trackage rights on CSAO from West Detroit to Melvindale, from there over the NS ex-Wabash line to Butler, and from there into Chicagoland on the ex-NYC Water Level Route. I think I remember CP having previously had rights over CSAO from Detroit to Carleton, CSX from there through Toledo to Deshler, then on into Chicago on the ex-B&O.

(Reference map, with NS lines bolded: http://multimodalways.org/docs/railroad ... 1-2006.pdf)
 #884976  by Tadman

Almost everything goes on NS via Toledo and South Bend. I've heard CSX(PM) is almost dormant on the west end save for the daily PM passenger train, and I believe it - I spend time in the summer about a mile from that line and it's eerily quiet where once the distinct sound of CP horns blew.
 #888820  by soo6617

CP's traffic across Michigan does go via South Bend, but not via Toledo. It takes the former Wabash to Butler, IN and uses a new connecting track to the old NYC there.
 #892032  by CP Rail Conductor

I work for CP in Elkhart, In. We run out of Bensenville in Chicago across the Elgin Sub to the BRC (Belt Railway of Chicago) get on the BRC right past the Cicero Metra Station. Run the BRC across to Rock Island Jct where we get on the NS at CP 509 in Chicago. Run the NS Dearborn division from 509 to Elkhart where we have a crew change point. Then across the Dearborn to Butler Indiana where we go around the connection to the NS Lake Division. That goes all the way to Oakwood Yard in Detroit where we go straight through the yard across the Rouge River Bridge and onto Conrail Shared Assest. Run Conrail across to 15th St Detroit and that is where we take the CP through the Detroit River Tunnel into Windsor Canada. US crews get off and lay over in Windsor.