Railroad Forums 

• CP Rail SD45's did they ever have them?

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#113002  by SRS125

Fact of Fiction. Did the Canadian Pacific ever have SD45's? I'm seeing models of them comeing out in H.O. Scale and in N Scale. I have looked threw several Canadian Pacific rostors and have never came across any SD45's in there fleet. And according to the Diesel Spotter's Guide no SD45's ever being built for any Canadian Railways. How many did they have where did they come from were they seconed hand or brand new? Or were these SD40-2's and SD40-3's with SD45 Shells?

#113003  by AmtrakFan

CPR never had SD45 and SD45-2's but they did have some rebuilt from other roads into SD40M-2.

#113258  by SRS125

ahh so these would be seconed hand SD45's that were rebuilt as SD40M-2's.

#113466  by Ken V

Thanks to John's input these can be slotted as CPR 5490 (SP 9031), 5493-5497 (DRGW 55xx), and 5498 (SP/SSW (Cotton Belt) 9055).

Some photo's can be found at Galt Station
Last edited by Ken V on Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#113488  by trainmaster_1

Sadly there being retired and there are a few left in service......it was kinda odd for me to see an SD45 in CP dual flag scheme just knowing that the designation read SD40M-2 when I was younger, looks pretty classy though.

#113901  by SRS125

I kind of suspected that these would have been MPI Rebuilds that were built for SP/DRGW/SSW. Why did CP Buy these was it that they were short handed or expairamenting?

#113963  by AmtrakFan

SRS125 wrote:I kind of suspected that these would have been MPI Rebuilds that were built for SP/DRGW/SSW. Why did CP Buy these was it that they were short handed or expairamenting?
I believe they were looking for a cheaper option to new power.

#114138  by trainmaster_1

Nope CP was in a buzz with the SD40-2 and they were looking for more because of there popularity and reliability, over all they had 495 units and looking for more to add to there fleet but the ones they bought was from rebuild SD40-2's designated as SD40M-2 (M for modified) from MK from old SD45's.

#115048  by SRS125

Thanks for all the replys guys this info rilly cleared up a lot. Now I know that I can add a few of these odd ball loco's to my layout with out question.

#116093  by Engineer Spike

I'm surprised that they are being retired. They are the newest of the SD40 fleet. I havn't seen any in a while. I thought that they were good units. I never had a problem with them. One time I had a red barn leading. something was wrong with the mu circuits. The trailing units would not load (yes I first tried a new jumper). I had to put a SD45/40M-2 in the lead. I burried the barn to the rear of the consist. Along with this, I would rather see the barns go. I hate the desks, and the cheap tombstone seats in them.

#123026  by trainmaster_1

CP was looking for more units SOO Line was going through a hard time, and they were going to go bankrupt??? then that the aquisition into CP made CP have more units, the reason they are retiring them 40(-2)'s is because of newer units like the AC4400's, if CP didn't buy any of those GE's those 40(-2)'s would still be running about the network for a very long long time.

#152838  by Engineer Spike

Soo does have these units. CP had just bought the D&H. They also wanted to replace ALCOs. They bought several used SD40-2's.