Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#807507  by SooLineRob

Canadian Pacific has quite the variety in paint schemes ... if you like red paint!

Newest: GEvos in solid red, with Canadian Pacific Railway spelled out on the long hood.

Common: GE AC44CW "Beavers", CP Rail, CP Rail System, red & white SOO, solid red SOO, blue and yellow DM&E/IC&E, red/white/black ex-CP DM&E/IC&E.

Few and far between: orange & black ex-MILW SOO, CP Rail with the "Pac Man" logo, Canadian Pacific Railway w/beaver on an EMD.

Forum member "Engineer Spike" could provide the whereabouts of the rarest ... D&H lightning stripes.

Canadian Pacific doesn't have any "heritage" units; any SOO/D&H/DM&E/IC&E units have simply kept their original paint/road number.
 #807618  by atsf sp

SooLineRob wrote:CP Rail with the "Pac Man" logo
Too bad there are not more in this. Good classic paint.
 #807620  by SooLineRob

Another variant of the "plain red" CP Rail scheme on SD40-2's is the rear long hood having either black & white stripes with black road numbers, or red & white stripes with red road numbers.
 #808179  by .missthealcos.

The D&H GP38-2's painted in D&H gray and blue, are actually "heritage" units. They were repainted in this scheme by CP in the early/mid 90's When painted, they even had markings on them denoting this fact. Also, along with the FP9's/F9B painted in Tuscan & gray, CP GP38-2 3084 is painted in Tuscan & Gray(of course, it never would have actually carried this paint, the long gone now GP35's having been inspiration to paint it in this scheme), as a pinch hitter for the F-units.
 #808319  by mtuandrew

SooLineRob wrote:Canadian Pacific has quite the variety in paint schemes ... if you like red paint!

Common: red & white SOO

Few and far between: orange & black ex-MILW SOO
I haven't seen as many of the red & white/black lettered SOO locomotives recently. They're still relatively common, but CP seems to be largely repainting them to the spelled-out Canadian Pacific scheme. However, I do see a few 4-axle ex-MILW units running around the Twin Cities pretty regularly in their original orange and black (patched of course), at Newport, Shoreham Yards, Red Wing and sometimes by the Ford Plant.
 #808830  by SooLineRob

.missthealcos. wrote:The D&H GP38-2's painted in D&H gray and blue, are actually "heritage" units. They were repainted in this scheme by CP in the early/mid 90's When painted, they even had markings on them denoting this fact. Also, along with the FP9's/F9B painted in Tuscan & gray, CP GP38-2 3084 is painted in Tuscan & Gray(of course, it never would have actually carried this paint, the long gone now GP35's having been inspiration to paint it in this scheme), as a pinch hitter for the F-units.
I guess it depends on the definition of what a "heritage" unit is.

The examples cited above have always been either D&H or CP units. Just as some SOO SD60's have received new paint following collision damage/overhaul. I believed for a locomotive to be considered as having a "heritage" paint scheme meant the unit has been painted into the colors/name of a railroad which no longer exists nor operates. Since CP, SOO, D&H, and DM&E are still railroads which legally exist and operate, I based my definition on what the UP has been doing with their heritage "program" as well as to avoid the pitfalls of trying to define a "heritage" unit within Pan Am's roster.

What markings did the D&H GP38-2's have denoting them as "heritage" units? I've seen SOO units which have "Proud Member of CP Rail System" decals under the cab windows...
 #808950  by .missthealcos.

I'll have to find pics from back then, but they absolutley had markings. They were painted in I believe 1992. I think there were 4 done, 7303, 7304 , 7307, 7312. I don't know if all of them were "marked" but a least one was.
 #809113  by mtuandrew

Another paint scheme I've seen, but only rarely: white StL&H lettering on a red background, similar to the CP Rail System paintjob. I imagine only a few locomotives received this scheme, as the St. Lawrence and Hudson only operated for a few years before being returned to the CP fold.
 #809116  by umtrr-author

Although not a direct answer to the original question, there's an article on the CP Rail "image" and a bit about its sucessors in the latest issue of Classic Trains.

That "Pac Man" logo is formally called the "multimark."
 #809178  by SooLineRob

mtuandrew wrote:Another paint scheme I've seen, but only rarely: white StL&H lettering on a red background, similar to the CP Rail System paintjob.
Funny you mention the StL&H units! I just saw one last month leading a train ... add that one to the "rare CP paint job" file.
 #809181  by SooLineRob

.missthealcos. wrote:I'll have to find pics from back then, but they absolutley had markings. They were painted in I believe 1992. I think there were 4 done, 7303, 7304 , 7307, 7312. I don't know if all of them were "marked" but a least one was.
Bingo ... those units were repainted in 1992, now that you mention it. See Mr Diamond's post in the topic below :

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 83&t=54654

I'm sure those units have/had some kind of markings, and I'm curious as to what they actually said. Please reply with anything you find!
 #809308  by atsf sp

What years was STLH listed as a seperate entity?
 #809412  by mtuandrew

SooLineRob wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:Another paint scheme I've seen, but only rarely: white StL&H lettering on a red background, similar to the CP Rail System paintjob.
Funny you mention the StL&H units! I just saw one last month leading a train ... add that one to the "rare CP paint job" file.
Very likely the same that I noted - I think it was the second unit on an eastbound train, on the NP line at Dale Street. Couldn't tell you whether it was a 4- or 6-axle unit, but it was definitely a -2 standard cab EMD.

As for StL&H corporate history, it took possession of CP Rail's eastern lines (including the D&H) on October 1, 1996, and was dissolved on January 1, 2001 after selling some lines and abandoning other unprofitable ones. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Lawren ... on_Railway
 #809487  by Ken V

SooLineRob wrote:What markings did the D&H GP38-2's have denoting them as "heritage" units? I've seen SOO units which have "Proud Member of CP Rail System" decals under the cab windows...
Something like this (on D&H 7312 - most recently repainted and designated a heritage unit in 2000)