Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#514365  by cclune

Canadian Pacific has a recently started a 3 month lease with 2 of BNSF's SD70ACe's. Rumor has it that so far the tests have been successful and CP is pleased with the results. Will these successful tests lead to a CP EMD order? Any feedback on these leased units would be awesome

Here are the leased BNSF SD70ACe's leading a CP manifest in British Columbia, Canada

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 224&nseq=2

#514464  by Ken V

That's very interesting. I'd welcome seeing something different on CPR and some brand spanking new EMD's would certainly fit the bill. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

#517714  by uhaul

From asking around, these new SD70 versions are not exactly liked by crews. Indeed it will be interesting to see what becomes of this testing.

#537867  by Patrick

my understanding from a friend who works for csx is that the SD70's and such dont load worth a crap. they have to think about it, as opposed to the ES44 units which, unlike past GE products, load as fast as the SD40's did and are generally as nice to run as the SD40's. GE may very well have the SD40 of the future.
 #708557  by Engineer Spike

The word on the street is that the 87 and 8800 classes (ES4400AC) have had some teething troubles. CP may be looking to EMD for future purchases. Soon after this trial, the economy tanked. Needless to say, I don't think that any new units will be needed.
CPR seems to base its anti EMD leanings on the performance of the SD90MAC. When they got them, the H prime mover was unproven. I bet if they had gone for proven technology, like the SD70MAC, things might be different. BNSF seems to have good luck with them.