Railroad Forums 

• CP has a agreement to sell the D&H

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#1297357  by Engineer Spike

My concern is about making the right move. Which company will be best long term.Even if I'm protected, that only lasts so long.

I'll have to see if the new carrier offers jobs, and where everyone bumps to at the last minute. Several guys plan to retire. Who knows where that puts me. Right now the oil is the main business up north. What if they loose the business to CSX?
 #1297690  by Engineer Spike

With the announcement about CSX, this deal makes perfect sense. Just because CSX said no, does not mean its over. CP and or Ackman may buy enough shares to do a hostile takeover. If CP did not sell the southern end of D&H, then it would be an obstacle because they would control both main routes to New England (Mechanicville and the B&A.
 #1299039  by CPF363

With the announcement that CSX and CP 's merger is over (at least for now), wonder if CP is going to reconsider their decision to sell the south end of the D&H if they can't get CSX. They could enter an alternative agreement with NS where CP sells 50% of the entire D&H railway to NS, and NS pays with the Southern Tier Line, so no cash would be exchanged. Both systems would benefit, NS would get direct access to New England and eastern Canada while CP would get a direct line from the TH&B to Croxton Yard and the New York market and port.
 #1299157  by F-line to Dudley via Park

CPF363 wrote:With the announcement that CSX and CP 's merger is over (at least for now), wonder if CP is going to reconsider their decision to sell the south end of the D&H if they can't get CSX. They could enter an alternative agreement with NS where CP sells 50% of the entire D&H railway to NS, and NS pays with the Southern Tier Line, so no cash would be exchanged. Both systems would benefit, NS would get direct access to New England and eastern Canada while CP would get a direct line from the TH&B to Croxton Yard and the New York market and port.
They're not going to call off a sale when they've got a buyer. That was completely independent of the CSX takeover bid, which they had to assume had par or better odds of being rejected on the first attempt. CSX was an opening salvo and a testing of the waters, not a closer. They knew going in it would probably take a few whacks at that piñata before they could ever get CSX's approval. And this probably won't be the last one (whether it takes months or years before the second attempt, however, is completely up for debate). If the D&H sale somehow had a direct or even indirect dependency on acquiring CSX, they wouldn't have put it up for bid preemptively.

That one was always an independent move and always track they saw as surplus-to-requirement on where they wanted to focus, future merger or no future merger. They were quietly telegraphing it as such years in advance of the actual action.
 #1299284  by johnpbarlow

CPF363 wrote:With the announcement that CSX and CP 's merger is over (at least for now), wonder if CP is going to reconsider their decision to sell the south end of the D&H if they can't get CSX. They could enter an alternative agreement with NS where CP sells 50% of the entire D&H railway to NS, and NS pays with the Southern Tier Line, so no cash would be exchanged. Both systems would benefit, NS would get direct access to New England and eastern Canada while CP would get a direct line from the TH&B to Croxton Yard and the New York market and port.
From the transcript of CP's Q3 earnings call of 10/21/14:

"David Newman - Cormark Securities

And when do you anticipate the D&H might close or when you finally get an agreement gets manned?

James Clement - CP Vice-President, Strategic Planning and Transportation Services

Well, it’s James. We think that we will have an agreement this quarter and then it needs regulatory approval through the FTB (sic - should be STB). So that would put closing sometime in 2015, probably second half 2015...."
 #1300168  by newpylong

Will have to wait and see on exactly what the extent of the sale is. They were sparring on how far north it would go. NS wants into Mohawk (at least), CP only wanted to sell up to GE. I can't imagine NS taking anything other than all the way to XO, but who knows. Someone will have trackage rights on the join main, or maybe they will split it like it used to be. I can't imagine CP wanting to go anywhere but Albany so doubtful they will have rights anywhere else.
 #1300895  by JayBee

newpylong wrote:Will have to wait and see on exactly what the extent of the sale is. They were sparring on how far north it would go. NS wants into Mohawk (at least), CP only wanted to sell up to GE. I can't imagine NS taking anything other than all the way to XO, but who knows. Someone will have trackage rights on the join main, or maybe they will split it like it used to be. I can't imagine CP wanting to go anywhere but Albany so doubtful they will have rights anywhere else.
Andy Cummings, CP PR spokesman, confirmed that CP would retain Mohawk Yd. proper, but that the buyer would get ownership of the mainline to Mechanicville.