Railroad Forums 

• CP Draw and Main Line River Bridge

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#40095  by Railroaded

The Buffalo River draw bridges are back in action for the dredger operations up near the Exxon-Mobil Docks. The tug Mohawk brings her dump scows up and down the creek a couple of times a day. Rail traffic is constantly switching from CP Draw to River Bridge and back again.

-B in B

#40169  by sd80mac

Where's Buffalo River draw bridges?? i dont think u meant the bridge that have been in "up" position for long time and right next to active bridge?

ken

#40477  by Railroaded

I'm just saying that the bridges CP Draw (Main line 1 & 2) and River Bridge (main line 3) at the foot of Smith St. are now going to be going up and down for river vessel traffic over the next few weeks because the dredger operations have been restarted above the bridges and it will be effecting trains when the tug and barge go up and down the crick.
The bridges have not been opened much over the last few months (except for the Firetug Cotter for Ice Breaking during winter) since the dredge shut down in december last year. So if you want to see the bridges open up for a boat, now's your chance.

-B in B

#40481  by sd80mac

ok - thanks.

I thought these 2 sets of draw bridges were called the same name - CP Draw. I didn't realize that bridge next to CP Draw had it's own name...

ken

#40543  by MarkT

River Bridge with main line #3 is like 1/2 of a mile down stream from Draw. In my opinion the street closest to this bridge would be Katherine off of South Park

#40549  by sd80mac

MarkT wrote:River Bridge with main line #3 is like 1/2 of a mile down stream from Draw. In my opinion the street closest to this bridge would be Katherine off of South Park
got it...

have Buffalo cleaned up the areas noth of CP draw?? Last time I went on abandoned NKP bridge (the one with end cut off which went over CSX mainline.
So anyway my last visit there which was sometime in 98 or 97, I could see that buffalo were trying to turn the mess area into some sort of park or fishing place. is it still mess up there??

ken

#40931  by Railroaded

CP Draw is the old Buffalo Creek Railroad Bridge with CSX main 1 & 2 , the one up in the air next to it is the old Nickle Plate bridge now owned by NS and is welded up in place-out of service.

The bridge West of those two bridges is the old NYC River Bridge, and is now called either "Main Line River Bridge" or "The Bridge at CP1" and carries main 3 over the crick.

If you go to the end of Smith St., there is now a public park directly in between CP Draw and River Bridge. You have a perfect view of any vessel traffic on the crick with a draw bridge to either side.
And lots of fishies to catch while you wait, it's awesome dude.
-B in B