Railroad Forums 

• COVID-19 Effects on SEPTA

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1606540  by NotYou

SEPTA doesn't do themselves any favors w/ the way they handle SEPTA keys on the regional rail. Riders have to swipe at the onboarding station, on the train, and at the departure station: it's two more steps than the prior system. Isn't a big part of swiping at both stations to free up the conductors from checking every ticket / pass?
 #1606565  by ryan92084

Conductors checking has nothing to do with processing the trip correctly unless it is an intermediate trip. Checking everyone was/is intended to be a courtesy while people were/are learning the system. I would assume at some point they'll stop being so forceful about it.
 #1606567  by rcthompson04

ryan92084 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:15 am Conductors checking has nothing to do with processing the trip correctly unless it is an intermediate trip. Checking everyone was/is intended to be a courtesy while people were/are learning the system. I would assume at some point they'll stop being so forceful about it.
I have started seeing some curtailing of the courtesy tapping over the last month or two.

Biggest issue from a rider perspective is the lack of conductors at doors.
 #1606644  by NotYou

Glad to hear they are cutting back on the "courtesy" tapping. Cutting back on that doesn't produce more conductors to open doors and panels for low-level stations, but gives the already shortage of conductors one less thing to worry about and opportunity to focus more on customer service.

SEPTA not investing in more in high-level stations strikes me as classic SEPTA: keep a large work force and invest less in capital improvements such as high-level stations. Maybe the current situation will be a motivation to move $$$$ to the capital budget for things such as upgrading stations to high-level. As they say in the tech world: it is cheaper to throw more hardware at the problem than hire more people.
 #1607061  by AlexC

This topic has drifted away from COVID altogether.. please create another thread if you'd like or use the existing Key thread.

septa-npt-card-will-be-quot-septa-key-q ... 3-885.html