• covering gons/hoppers

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by KEN PATRICK

Sen Schumer has written the FRA to ask that they enforce covering open top loads traveling on commuter rail. seems the c&d and scrap loads have been falling off onto autos, rails and private property. his request was general so one could opine that stone cars must also be covered. covering is an expensive process. it generates a host of operating problems. has anyone seen uncovered garbage? ken patrick
  by tj48

Coastal from what I've seen covers the top of their cars with a red plastic netting. Whether it keeps everything in the cars I don't know.
  by SwingMan

Either way it will severly slow the process, and likely add the cost for the manpower to actually put coverings on the cars. Just more whiney people looking for something to complain about.
  by BobLI

This is another "soft" story that UP Chuck can blow smoke at the cameras and look important. What a loser!!!... You have to remember, Chuck only touches topics which arent going to come back to haunt him and that make him look important. Typical windbag politician.
  by ccutler

Having seen the C&D cars in Oak Point yard, for a while most of them had red netting over them but that practice appears to have been discontinued. Its pretty cheap to net them.

the scrap metal falling off however is very dangerous.

I share the previous poster's dislike for the Senator. He does nothing for NY other than reinforce the welfare state and damage its taxpayers. Instead of just criticizing the railroad couldn't he also compliment them for removing traffic from the LI Expressway, providing jobs, and paying taxes? Instead he just paints them as villians. What an a**.
  by jayrmli

ccutler wrote:Having seen the C&D cars in Oak Point yard, for a while most of them had red netting over them but that practice appears to have been discontinued. Its pretty cheap to net them.

the scrap metal falling off however is very dangerous.

I share the previous poster's dislike for the Senator. He does nothing for NY other than reinforce the welfare state and damage its taxpayers. Instead of just criticizing the railroad couldn't he also compliment them for removing traffic from the LI Expressway, providing jobs, and paying taxes? Instead he just paints them as villians. What an a**.
If he were to compliment them, it would show he has nothing to "fix" with all of his charts and graphs and endless press conferences...
  by DogBert

I'd bet 5 bucks those 'cures' windbags have been complaining to him too. They seem to think open top c&d cars are msw cars.

I'd think if this were a real problem we'd see lots of c&d littering the row.