Railroad Forums 

• Covered Gons?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1101451  by JoeCollege

Hi-

There was a cut of cars at Forks siding Thursday and Friday. Gons and covered hoppers- frac sand for PA or grain I guess. Some of the gons were covered with a plastic quonset hut style cover, marked "Fits FURX Gons" or something of that nature. I had never seen them, but it appeared the gons that were covered were all First Union gons. Any idea why they're used and what those cars are used to cover? My guess is grain or sand, and they're pressed into use as there's surely a shortage of covered hoppers between fracking and the harvest season. Am I right, or am I finally losing it?

Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance.
 #1101466  by L&HR C&S

Joe,
They are the dirty dirt cars for contaminated soil loading in NJ; they previously used tarps to encase the dirt but switched to the covers to keep all rain water out.
Bill
 #1101531  by Steve F45

depending on where the cars are loaded here in nj will determine what it's covered with. The maywood site still uses the tarp method, the loading site in north bergen uses those plastic gondola covers. They have a whole lot full of them.
 #1101607  by JoeCollege

Thanks, fellas. That makes total sense. I did some Google searching and was coming up empty. Mystery solved!
 #1102335  by K4Pacific

I learned in a seminar this weekend in Binghamton to look for July when NYS will allow the process to begin. They're "J-hooking" oil in PA now using the same pressure and bore. Amazing.