Railroad Forums 

• Countdown Signs Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1197012  by ST214

All signs were properly working Friday!
 #1197319  by BostonUrbEx

Today I was watching the sign at Jackson Square. It was at "2 min" when I got there. It changed to "ARR" for arriving, despite no automatic announcements whatsoever. Then it just disappeared and the train on the second line ("4 min") moved up to the first slot. So either there was a ghost train or a bug in the system. ;)
 #1215574  by BostonUrbEx

Steve Annear just announced on Twitter that the MBTA is ready to announce the introduction of countdowns in subway stations. Great news!
 #1215587  by TrainManTy

BostonUrbEx wrote:Steve Annear just announced on Twitter that the MBTA is ready to announce the introduction of countdowns in subway stations. Great news!
Clarification: the announcement is for Green Line subway stations. :wink:
 #1215590  by BostonUrbEx

TrainManTy wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:Steve Annear just announced on Twitter that the MBTA is ready to announce the introduction of countdowns in subway stations. Great news!
Clarification: the announcement is for Green Line subway stations. :wink:
Woops, yes. Completely left out the key bit of info. Ha!

The story is hot off the presses: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog ... ain-signs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: These will only tell you what trains are next. They will NOT tell you how much longer you'll be waiting.
 #1215637  by djimpact1

It sounds like inclusion of these "Next Train" signs is really prep-work to have them currently operational, for future usage as countdown clock signs (since the T said it would be around 2015 when the Green Line would have such countdown capabilities implemented/rolled out).

Think about it, depending on what line you're traveling, past Copley or Kenmore stations (outbound on branches) or prior to Copley/Kenmore (inbound), do you really need a sign telling you a train is arriving if it's...ARRIVING?! You can clearly see it approaching. I'd say in this equipment set-up phase, the only use for this functionality will be from Lechmere to Copley/Kenmore prior to branch-specific splits (i.e. "oh look, the next train is a D train...I want that").

...and yes, I know non-E trains terminate before Lechmere, but let's not encourage train-bunching & have everyone boarding E trains to Lechmere / I'd prefer taking any train & transferring as necessary - keeps a better "spread".
 #1215671  by octr202

Well, one advantage of this intermediate step (just showing the route/destination) is that it'll help make up for those horrid LCD destination signs that are barely legible unless you're right next to them!
 #1215727  by Adams_Umass_Boston

octr202 wrote:Well, one advantage of this intermediate step (just showing the route/destination) is that it'll help make up for those horrid LCD destination signs that are barely legible unless you're right next to them!
Agreed!!
 #1215759  by BostonUrbEx

octr202 wrote:Well, one advantage of this intermediate step (just showing the route/destination) is that it'll help make up for those horrid LCD destination signs that are barely legible unless you're right next to them!
Great point! Those displays are horrid...

As of this morning, the "next train" feature is not working. They're unveiling them at 2pm today, and I presume they'll be running at that time.
 #1215824  by StefanW

Right now it's 1:06 PM and I'm boarding at Kenmore (but I can't wait until 2PM) and there's no sign - pun intended - of anything formal happening later. The signs are powered but only showing the time.

I asked the Green Line inspector here if they are still set to go live today and he said "not sure there was a software bug" but he also said he thought people would be showing up "later today" to do with the signs.
 #1215830  by StefanW

I just realized that one thing in that Boston Mag. article is puzzling:
what they may look like, and where they will be situated, remains a mystery—for now.
That can't be right because at least the ones at Kenmore were installed long before today, and to my eye they look exactly like the ones on the heavy rail lines. As for locations: there are (at least) five I saw at Kenmore... One opposite the fare gates on the top level and four at the platform level - one on each end of the platform for each inbound track. Probably the same on the outbound side.
 #1215876  by MBTA3247

Seriously? They couldn't fit "Riverside" on there?
 #1215890  by The EGE

Looks like they're leaving space for countdown timers once those transponders are fully online in 2015.
 #1216398  by jamesinclair

The EGE wrote:Looks like they're leaving space for countdown timers once those transponders are fully online in 2015.
Its simple software....

You can have full names today AND make room for clocks in 2015. Its not either/or.