Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#231023  by NJTRailfan

http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedc ... /61699.htm

After reading this, It does have merit. With the TWU Representative stepping on so many toes I wouldn't be surprised. also the court of public opinion has no sympaty for him or his people after the workers went on strike inconvieniencing them, especially those who work at jobs paying lower then the TWU and next to 0 benifits compared to them. I'm shocked that so far nothing has happened to Toussaint. Prehaps now that with Delta Airlines strike looming people are now fed up and are going into the Ronald Reagan mentailty of "firing them all!" Especially since people have taken benfit/wage cuts just so that their companies can stay in business and that they can have jobs which is important to have a roof over your head and food on the table.

#231353  by MCD4x4

Toussaint should face his punishment. I don't blame the TWU for striking at all but the law is what keep our sysity safe. If he believes he stood up for what was right than at the least he should be judged for it by a jury of twelve. If the fire department of police department were to go on strike, many would die. The dirt bags would go on a rampage. All the building owners that want out would set their fires. Would they be right to strike, I think so, people should be paid a fair wage for there work, (and NEVER be asked to give up what they have) especially when they choose to take the more steady job and not the corporate higher paying jobs. lets face it, the corporate world is cut throat but you can make a hell of a lot more money than working for the city. Getting back to the Taylor law, it is needed. If Toussaint is not prosecuted, if the powers that be, see he is not, who will ignore the Taylor law next?

#231592  by NJTRailfan

The next vilator wil lprobably be Delta Airlines. They have a pretty big presnece at La Guardia with their Shuttle Service to DC and Boston and JFK especially with their presence out of Terminals 2 and 3. Maybe they aren't as big as Pan am or TWA once was at JFK but they are pretty damn close enough to inconvienice many in the Tri State Area when they do go on striek leavign many angry passengers behidn to try to fly on other airlines. I have a feelign if DL goes go on strike they will go under just like Eastern Airlines did when their mechanics and pilots went on strike.

#236094  by ryanov

In my opinion, the Taylor Law is unconstitutional. What recourse do these workers have, exactly, with that law in place?

#236154  by arrow

ryanov wrote:In my opinion, the Taylor Law is unconstitutional. What recourse do these workers have, exactly, with that law in place?
The same as everyone else does, look for another job if they aren't happy.