Railroad Forums 

• Cost of a Locomotive

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#973463  by Slainte

Hi Guys,

Hey, I'm only a rail buff by my Thomas Tank Engine loving three year old. I live in Montana and today I saw one of Denny Washington's Rail link engines. It looked brand new, which raised a question. How much does a new diesel locomotive cost? Anyone have any ideas? I know it's an open question but any general ideas? Thanks.
 #973630  by John_Perkowski

A used E-9 is going for $225,000
http://www.railmerchants.net/e9fp7/index.html

Someone else can find current stock prices. Generally, newswire items reported in Trains give the gross cost of the purchase for N units; then it's a simple division operation.
 #973650  by Allen Hazen

Think in the two to three million dollar range for a new mainline freight diesel.
(A 3000 horsepower freight diesel would have been about $250,000 back in the early 1970s. Modern ones are about one and a half times as powerful. I'm afraid I don't know what the general inflation rate has been over the past 40 years, so I don't know if locomotive prices have risen faster, slower, or about the same as other things.)
 #973741  by MEC407

New diesel passenger locomotives have been selling for up to $6 million a pop, although that may possibly include some kind of maintenance contract.
 #977443  by Trax-Man

That's a steal compared to Light Rail Vehicles, UTA's S70 cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $3.2 million a piece. And we are getting close to taking delivery on 80 of them.
http://www.railmerchants.net/e9fp7/index.html
Someone else can find current stock prices. Generally, newswire items reported in Trains give the gross cost of the purchase for N units; then it's a simple division operation.
Last edited by John_Perkowski on Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Fixing bbcode