Railroad Forums 

• Cost Estimation Resource (Southeast US)?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#1187708  by drt401

Hi everyone, I'm a young-ish civil engineer E.I. consultant getting my feet wet in rail design. I have only worked on a couple of rail projects so far (a storage yard and a couple of sidings and spurs) but I already know that I enjoy rail much more than roads. That said, I know I have a LOT more to learn about railroads and am therefore turning to yall who have been doing it for longer than I've been alive.

I am looking for some sort of database or reference material that will help me with cost estimation. We do several county road projects each year and I can look at recent bids on county projects and to get some pretty solid prices for my future project. I know it's a completely different animal, but I was hoping that something like that exists for rail projects (in the southeast US). Short of calling local rail contractors, I am prettymuch stuck pulling prices from old projects which I would rather not do.

Does anyone know of anything?

Thanks
 #1189157  by Cowford

401, I would suggest you reach out to the American Railway Engineering & Maintenance of Way Association (AREMA). They can probably point you in the right direction. (Also, if you haven't seen it, they have a handy manual, "Practical Guide to Railway Engineering".)