Railroad Forums 

• Corporate Pride? Don't Think So

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1586878  by Gilbert B Norman

Over at another site, far more into advocacy than are we around here, I noted the following posting:
I've heard numerous of times that the Santa Fe considered to run the Super Chief/El Capitan and the Grand Canyon well after 1971. However, I really haven't found anything that wasn't speculative about the Santa Fe not joining Amtrak. Has anyone found anything that seems this belief is legitimate? If so why? My understanding is the Rio Grande did so due to fear of congestion on the Moffett Route, did the Santa Fe go to this philosophy or was it more like the Southern's use of prestige?
Allow me from my perspective that "I was there" on A-Day holding a lowly non-Agreement position with a Class I, to offer my views on such.

What I learned is that ATSF was quite concerned about was the 1919 CUSCO Agreement regarding access by tenants, i.e. Alton, could prove costly.

That Agreement required a tenant to pay their allocated by wheelage cost of their operations. It also required a tenant to pay their allocated cost of the Debt Service but did not allow them to participate in the ancillary income. This income could be significant with the Ground Lease for 10, 120, 222, and 306 S. Riverside Plaza. Even though Section 4.4 of the May 1, 1971 Agreement between Amtrak and the Roads called for payment of the entire cost of accessing Jointly Owned Terminals, ATSF was concerned that Amtrak would consider such to be Unconscionable and, in the Amtrak way, "see 'em in the Courthouse".

Somebody placed their bets and said to sign up; Amtrak did honor Section 4.4 but one of Amtrak's first priorities was to "get out of those barns" resulting in quick exits from Cincinatti, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Richmond - mostly to unattractive Amshacks. How LAUPT escaped such an exit is unknown to me.

There was also an operational concern as well; the shoes needed to activate the then-existing ATS would not clear into CUS. OLne alternative was to continue operating into Dearborn, but then the 4.4 concerns noted would also be in play. What was decided was to add/remove these shoes at Ft. Madison (Shopton) and restrict the trains to 79mph across Illinois.

Turning now to both the D&RGW and SRY, there was a measuring period comprising 1969 which would determine the cost for each road to join up. In both cases, self-help enabled these roads to significantly reduce their passenger train losses between the measuring period and A-Day Eve. Therefore, their "bang for the buck" would be reduced.

In the case of the D&RGW, the CZ was Daily during the measuring period; tri Weekly on A-Day Eve. The SRY had reduced or eliminated numerous trains, including The Crescent (Amtrak of course, resurrected the name for what was The Southerner).

So in short, I don't think "Corporate Pride", as the advocacy community likes to think, was that much of a factor; rather it was "dollars and cents".

Finally, there was one major road that was in the "almost didn't" but for a different reason: the SCL was, by some "cookie jar" measurement, making $$$ on their Silver and Champion trains. I learned that "the lights burned late at 500 Water St" including their CEO participating in the evaluations. However, there the concern was that Amtrak could break the connection at Richmond (RF&P was still an independent road back then) and "that would be the ballgame". So of course, they too signed up.
 #1586899  by Shortline614

According to Fred Frailey's book Twlight of the Great Trains, the Santa Fe didn't want to join Amtrak at all. Passenger trains were too much a part of the railroad's soul to get rid of. Plus, if they did join Amtrak, the Santa Fe feared the quality of those trains would quickly go down the drain. (Which they did.)

If a railroad didn't join Amtrak, all trains running on April 31st, 1970, had to be kept through 1975. After a study, the Santa Fe determined that the cost of continuing to operate the remaining trains, the Super Chief, El Capitan, Texas Chief, and San Diegan, was $35 million per year, which would wipe out all potential earnings over the next 5 years. The Santa Fe had no real economic choice. They had to join Amtrak.

The sad reality is that economic realities can overcome any corporate pride...
 #1588304  by urr304

I too have read that ATSF President John Reed was willing to run the Super Chief/El Capitan, Texas Chief, San Diegans; I am not sure about the SF Chief [perhaps as an extension from San Bernardino]. First, to keep outsiders [Federal govt] off the property, perhaps to work out arrangements with states [i.e. SanDiegans]. Then after five or so years be allowed to exit passenger service gracefully. They certainly would have been able to remove Raton Pass then.

As Corporate Pride, do not discount the pride in job through the employee ranks [bottom to top] if they are doing an 'important' job. You can see it, you can feel it. People will do what they can to reach the job completion if they know and believe they are doing something important; other people are depending on what you are doing. That espirit de corps is something that can not be quantitative but you can see it or feel it. I seen it go away observing the E-L when they lost the mail, then the last intercity passengers, then when they declared bankruptcy after Hurricane Agnes. I was just a kid [HS Age] and I could sense the change to just doing just what was required, before it was the attitude was whatever it took to satisfy the customer's needs.

The posters on this forum and other forums with years of actual service understand what I am talking about.
 #1588475  by John_Perkowski

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:31 am Somebody placed their bets and said to sign up; Amtrak did honor Section 4.4 but one of Amtrak's first priorities was to "get out of those barns" resulting in quick exits from Cincinatti, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Richmond - mostly to unattractive Amshacks. How LAUPT escaped such an exit is unknown to me.
This is speculation, but…

SP closed the Mission Road Coach Yard in 1967. Amtrak did not invite UP to play at all in Los Angeles, so there was NWIH UP was going to let Amtrak use the East Los Angeles Coach Yard.

This left only the Santa Fe and their Coach Yard/roundhouse at Washington Blvd. IN TURN, that meant Amtrak would have to negotiate trackage rights for the Coast Starlight back to Mission Tower.

The next station on the Santa Fe was Fullerton. Problem…that wasn’t the arrival departure route for the Super on A-Day, it went to Pasadena.

Finally, the Fred Harvey Commissary was within union station.

Long story short, and again, this is speculation: Amtrak was boxed by operating practice into LAUPT.