Railroad Forums 

• Copper Canyon Rail Trip

• Tell us where you were and what you saw!
Tell us where you were and what you saw!

Moderator: David Benton

#477301  by jkrail

I would like to find out more on the Copper Canyon rail trip in Mexico.
There is some info on the net but I was wondering if anybody has been down that way by rail?
Thanks...
Jerry

#477313  by pennsy

Hi,

The Copper Canyon rail trip was well documented by PBS and should be available to your local PBS TV station.

It starts off in San Diego, and proceeds into Mexico, ending at the Tecate Beer brewery. You are entitled to a free sample of the excellent beer after you tour the facility, part of the trip. More is available at Mexican prices. Some of the guests usually require assistance to reboard the train. Excellent cafeteria on the grounds as well. All in all a very nice trip and tour for one day. Speaking Spanish would be an asset, but it is not mandatory.

#477613  by David Benton

Hi Jerry , first off , i enjoyed checking your website on the tunnel out . excellent effort .
I travelled this route back in the late eighties . then it was a govt run train , so popular it took me 2 or 3 days to get a seat on it . The scenery is out and out spectacular , i dont know how anyone could remain unmoved by it . Well maybe us rail fans are more moved by it than ordinary folk . It is a marvellous feat of engineering .
I dont spose much of what i encountered back then is relevant today , with all the changes . ( how they could stop such packed trains is beyond me ) . i stopped a nite 1/2 way ( place starting with c ) , but i dont know if thats possible with todays trains .