Railroad Forums 

• Cooking on board: cooking in the cab

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#526562  by bubbaXjoe

Might be an odd question but has anyone every heard of a cook book for cooking on the Locos? An old head at work yesterday said he had seen one. Cant find anything on the web...

#541365  by Engineer Spike

One of the conductors that I work with was a professional chef. He is good for a gormet meal once in a while. It helps that I work for a Canadian railway, and we have hot plates.
 #606529  by scooterz66

Better not let a CSX official come on board while doing so either. They have a rule about it. One too many people leaving a can of soup on the sidewall and letting it get too hot and "POP" the lid comes off. In one case I heard of, burning a conductor on the face with chili. It wasn't even his. The previous crew left it there.
 #606966  by steamal

bubbaXjoe wrote:Might be an odd question but has anyone every heard of a cook book for cooking on the Locos? An old head at work yesterday said he had seen one. Cant find anything on the web...
I once read a story in which an engineer warmed a baby's bottle on the boiler of a steam locomotive. So using locomotives as a heat source for cooking wouldn't be too much of a stretch. You'd just have to find a place to put the food, and remember where you put it before it overcooked.
 #612222  by GSC

Years ago I read in the old Railroad Magazine about a caboose cookbook, for cooking on the coal stove, which were designed for cooking with their flat tops and lips around the edge to keep the pots from sliding off. Maybe someone has that cookbook, or can provide a title.
 #619613  by NV290

We cook on loco's all the time.

Sidewall heaters, Expansion tank, top deck of the engine. Even the headlight resistors. I heat up all sorts of things daily. Never anything raw, i simply re-heat things. Works great. A can of soup is perfect in about 2 hours on an expansion tank. We get Canadian Power with hotplates, but unless your actually cooking, i dont need it.

As for the cookbook, i found it online not too long ago. The whole thing was in PDF. It had locations of where to cook and showed the finished product. Cant find the link though. Ill keep looking. It was very well done.