Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1602415  by Jonathan

From being on Instagram, I can assure you that 7470 is not just steaming in the yard, but powers the return leg of the Conway trip. On select excursions, it runs to conway and back solo.

Don't believe me? Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Eo2m715wagE
Last edited by Jonathan on Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1602458  by ConwayScenic252

CSRR573 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:42 pm I called them out on that post and saying how the place is a swirkus, they deleted the comment and then turned off commenting.
That's the new normal at this point. If you comment even the smallest issue, even say if the AC wasn't working on the car or something, they will delete the comment and close them.
 #1602492  by CPF66

Based on the light dressing of ballast they did, the sand ballast is still doing most of the leg work. Someone posted a video of the 7470 a few weeks ago and you could see how little rock they dumped.
 #1602523  by Westbound31

I remember Paul using ballast in just certain problem areas when we did track work. West side curve being one of those areas. He likes the old sand ballast that the B&M used and felt it was more authentic to the railroad. I always liked it as well. Kind of sad to see it covered up. Sand was okay for trains running 17-20mph. Not sure what they’re running at now or what swirk plans on running them at. Saw a recent vid of 7470 pulling the Conway train at what seemed like a pretty high speed. From what I understand, the reason the FRA wrote swirk up on the hairline cracks on the trucks of 7470 was due to the speed at which he was pulling trains west of North Conway.
 #1602572  by Jonathan

As someone who has chased dave on 7470 3 times, I can tell you with absolute certainty he doesn't push the engine to go any faster than 25-30 mph, I believe he runs it conservatively from a speed point of view. Compared to him, Wayne Duffet, who is also a qualified steam engineer for the Conway Scenic, tends to run 7470 fast and hard.
 #1602598  by b&m 1566

25 to 30 mph!? No they don't go that fast. It's 11 miles round trip to and from Conway, it takes a little over 20 minutes each way (add 10 + minutes for the run around), when you do the math, it comes out to 15 mph. Their entire schedule is based off 15 miles per hour average speed. While some areas they might hit 20, other areas they are limited to 10 or even 5, so it averages out to 15. To the best of my understanding the track varies between class 1 and 2. I don't think they hit 25 miles per hour anywhere on the system, nor should they, they're a scenic railroad.
 #1602692  by CSRR573

Discussing track speeds, it seems like for a couple years now on the notch train, speeds seem slower west of Bartlett just after 302 then they did say around 2016ish. Going downhill still seems the same tho
 #1602780  by CPF66

I have always been told that the track is good for 25, but they primarily go 20 or less since A. its a scenic railroad and B. it reduces wear and tear.
As for the sand vs rock topic, what I always heard from a few MOW guys I know who maintained branches with sand for ballast, sand is more prone to create mud vs. ballast due to the clay content in the sand. With sand you also don't get the locking action you do with rock ballast. I imagine running trains over it is similar to taking a sand blaster to a tie. I can see applications where it would be the financially responsible choice like in a yard or siding, but if you are running anything at speed, rock is the way to go.
 #1602802  by Pat Fahey

Hi All
Does anyone have any idea what Swirk plans to do with (3) buses on the property, it sounds like he is filling with property with his own JUNK. No wonder why Conway Scenic is in such a mess it is in. Thank you, Pat.
 #1602855  by Safetee

for occasional generally light train service, sand works fine as a ballast. properly chucked and dressed sand provides good even support over time achieving very good uniform compaction under the ties, facilitates drainage, and is way cheaper than stone. the biggest problem with sand is that it doesn't respond well to most mechanical tamping. but if you don't mind sighting by eye/ using a level board, and hand chucking and dressing, sand is a good economical way to go.