• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by NHV 669

They've put a B&M 5 chime whistle on it as well.
  by p42thedowneaster

Brian S. recently gave an interview with a local tv station and announced that they were working on getting steam running soon which is great news. Even more exciting imho, he announced a 3rd dome car (of NP heritage) will be joining the fleet any time now. https://youtu.be/xdk5lYFdQSU
  by Jonathan

CSRR573 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:19 pm Where did the trucks for the tender come from?
The tender trucks came from a CN hopper car, perfect for temporary use on 7470 until enough money has been raised to refurbish the tender trucks
  by Jonathan

having a 3rd dome makes sense though, Conway has put the Dorathea Mae on their valley runs, and hopefully the 3rd dome will be used on the mountaineer runs.
  by p42thedowneaster

Kind of surprised they haven't worked out an observation car yet for the Mountaineer. It would be great if they could find a matching stainless CB&Q tail car. Course...that might be the final nail in the Flying Yankee's hope for an operational restoration.
  by NHV 669

There's nowhere to turn the Yankee on CSRX other than the Bartlett wye, which I don't think is fully in service.
  by b&m 1566

There are two wyes available to the railroad (Bartlett and Quebec Jct), both could be capable of turning the Yankee.
  by CSRR573

Jonathan wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:45 am having a 3rd dome makes sense though, Conway has put the Dorathea Mae on their valley runs, and hopefully the 3rd dome will be used on the mountaineer runs.
Ive noticed that, have they stopped using the Chocura? Also I hope the new car will be painted to match the notch consist. I cant stand how the Rhonda doesnt match
  by NHV 669

b&m 1566 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:51 pm There are two wyes available to the railroad (Bartlett and Quebec Jct), both could be capable of turning the Yankee.
I wouldn't hold my breath on either turning any equipment, let alone a trainset that doesn't run or have wheels under it, anytime soon.
Last edited by NHV 669 on Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by p42thedowneaster

CSRR573 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:10 pm Ive noticed that, have they stopped using the Chocura? Also I hope the new car will be painted to match the notch consist. I cant stand how the Rhonda doesnt match
They had different crews or catering companies for each dining car. From what I've read it seems they only have a Mountaineer crew at this time. There are also no evening runs either at the moment. Outside of dining, those always seemed to be lightly attended anyways, so maybe they're reevaluating the concept. Maybe we'll just see chocorua join the mountaineer?

As to the new dome scheme....there is a version of the NP dome that is partially stainless on the lower panels and painted elsewhere. http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix/excur ... P558A.html
Perhaps a clever adaptation of this could help transition the notch scheme to better include the RL dome? I also think a stainless teardrop observation would fix it too...RL is a cool car, I think the real problem is just that it looks out of place carrying the markers.
  by Who

CSRR573 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:10 pm
Jonathan wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:45 am having a 3rd dome makes sense though, Conway has put the Dorathea Mae on their valley runs, and hopefully the 3rd dome will be used on the mountaineer runs.
Ive noticed that, have they stopped using the Chocura? Also I hope the new car will be painted to match the notch consist. I cant stand how the Rhonda doesnt match
They don't use the open air cars anymore either. Silver Cascade and Black Mountain have both been side lined since the end of 2019. I have no idea why they stopped using them, they were both very popular with riders. Silver Cascade only made one appearance and that was last year for the 470 RR Club's trip to Quebec Junction. Last time I saw Black Mountain, it looked like it had been filled with scrap wood, I wonder if the seats have been removed from it?