• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by b&m 1566

I don't know anything about it being a pipe dream, it seems pretty legit if the town has already approved the plans. Last I heard, demand was high for contractors up there, resulting in a wait list for construction (at least when it comes to building houses). As for moving the cabooses to a new track to free up the north yard, I took that as just an idea they are contemplating. I believe the cabooses are connected to the towns sewer system, not sure if moving them to a new track would require town approval.
  by EastYorkTrainFaan

On their instgarm page they put up some pictures of 255 relabbled for the conway senic railroad and with the number 255 on it as temprary stickers in red and white until they get it painted to mastch 252 and 216.
  by NHV 669

by CSRR573

Saw a post on another social media site that they have acquired trucks for 7470 and just need to install them. Also she should be test fired near the end of December
Last edited by MEC407 on Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
  by GTIKING

The new ' facilities ' in Conway should be nothing more than a car barn last I heard. This would have happened sooner however there's been internal fighting between David and the other significant stake holder in CSRR. Stake Holder wants to pay for a car barn from his own funds and put it across the freight house. David agreeed to have it on the property BUT not for it's intended use. This had been the hold up. David wants to store both steam engines down there, freeing up stall #4 and until 501s rehab is ready to commence. The other gentlemen disagrees and wants to bring in his private varnish and house it in the car barn.
  by NHV 669

Based on a post within the last hour to the company Facebook, it sounds like they couldn't guarantee that 7470 would be ready in time, and MBRRE has subsequently cancelled the steam in the snow event.
  by Jonathan

Just saw that 7470 is not guaranteed to run in January of 2022, can someone tell the railroad to get the steam engine fixed first before purchasing equipment that shouldn't have been purchased in the first place? I'm very disappointed, 7470 is the jewel of the railroad and rather than focusing on getting new equipment, they should have spent their time with this, not getting a GP9 for a display piece and a third locomotive for the notch train. They owe a year filled with steam events to us railfans that hoped to see 7470 numerous times.
  by NHV 669

The GP-9 belongs to the 470 club, not Conway Scenic.
  by b&m 1566

Jonathan wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:15 pm Just saw that 7470 is not guaranteed to run in January of 2022, can someone tell the railroad to get the steam engine fixed first before purchasing equipment that shouldn't have been purchased in the first place? I'm very disappointed, 7470 is the jewel of the railroad and rather than focusing on getting new equipment, they should have spent their time with this, not getting a GP9 for a display piece and a third locomotive for the notch train. They owe a year filled with steam events to us railfans that hoped to see 7470 numerous times.
Railfan's can be disappointed all they want; the railroad doesn't owe them anything to be frank. Less than 3% of their business is supported by railfans, so railfans are not their main focus. The GP9 you mentioned, belongs to the 470 RR Club and 255 was actually needed, they were down to 3 operating locatives with 252 down, and they saw an opportunity to save some MEC history in the process. The 4266 having never received any king of major upgrade in its history, is essentially in its original condition, making it an operating museum piece and should be treated as such. I guess none of these things matter though, since the 3% of the railroads business, has decided it's open season on this ownership group and is publicly shaming them because they are doing things different.
  by backroadrails

The public shaming is much deserved. The ownership of Conway Scenic has shown time after time that he is incapable of following through with what he says. I can see with all of the events in the past two years that there might be some difficulties in running a tourist based operation. But this repeated trend of ownership failures completely nullifies that excuse. It says something when there are only a handful of long time employees/ volunteers still at Conway, who left seemingly at the same time. Not to mention the fact that the railroad is running without an operations manager, after the last one got into an argument with the Swirks about where the company was headed, and was reportedly removed from his position for speaking up. And just to clarify, that "3%" was going to bring an estimated $30,000.00 to Conway Scenic along with the surrounding businesses in the course of a week between two steam charters. And I am certain with the money that was spent on the HEP generator, a good deal of work on the 7470 or the 252 could have been paid for.
  by NHV 669

Remember the time they put 252 on the ground in mid January not even close to the bad parts of Crawford Notch for the sake of a dome car that took until nearly June to move anyway? Or this summer, when they duffed it on putting the same car in the roundhouse without damaging the thing? When longtime observers note a problem, there's probably one present. Especially when people who love the operation are dissociating themselves from the place because of present ownership. Lest we forget how the previous purchase attempt was undercut.