Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1532823  by gokeefe

It's seems very fitting that an RDC would be used to bring service back given their history with North Conway (B&M final train).

Obviously it's a sensible decision from an operations perspective.
 #1532864  by b&m 1566

I doubt they'll even have a narrator as these are strictly shuttle trains. N. Conway is absolutely a hellish nightmare with traffic those two weeks, so I do see people taking advantage of this and the RDC is absolutely perfect for this service and the 90 minute turn arounds they are going to provide; I don't see this working if they didn't have the RDC.
I took another look on their website lastnight, I saw nothing about a stop at Bear Peak, however I won't be the least bit surprised if they add that at some point in the future, if in fact this it is successful for them. I'm sure Attitash welcomes this, I'm sure the towns of Bartlett and N. Conway welcome it and I'm sure to a lesser extant the Mt. Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce welcome this. If it's successful it will be something that can be advertised across other spectrums, not just by the railroad.
 #1533235  by Arborwayfan

Their website says it has a ski rack.

Is this the first scheduled passenger service designed to get people from point a to point b -- as opposed to fun scenic/nostalgic rides to operate to or from any of these towns since 1958? Or would we put them in the category of the special ski trains that ran once or twice a winter right up to the abandonment of the Conway Branch? I realize fun and nostalgia are part of the draw, but these trains are supposed to take people skiing, so to me they count as real passenger service.

Interesting that the last ski trains ran _to_ North Conway, which is now the starting point. Changes in the lodging and skiing geography.

An additional stop next to the parking lot of the McDonalds down towards Conway would be in walking distance of three or four more hotels.
 #1533583  by b&m 1566

I notice the dinner train for 2020 had its Wednesday departures removed from the schedule. Only 3 weekly departures on Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday w/occasional Sundays, if Monday is a holiday. I am surprised they didn't added Friday's, isn't that the biggest eating out night of the week?

Off topic: Back on Super Bowl Sunday, I got talking to a few people about cocktail cruises, it started over boat cocktail cruises but morphed itself into a question. One of them is spending this coming weekend in N. Conway for skiing and what not, they know about the train shuttles and asked if there are any cocktail cruises operated by any railroads? My answer was no, not that I'm aware off, then I remember the Conway Scenic, now has a bar/lounge in the lower dome. So now I'm curious, can someone just get cocktails or do riders have to order food? I know a liquor license dictates what you do, depending on the type you apply for. Most bars in NH are required to offer food (I believe Cigar Bar's are exempt) but not everyone has to order food, you just have to have the option. Restaurants with bars, liquor sales are not supposed to exceed your food sales.
 #1533601  by b&m 1566

Interesting, what car were you in?

Also, are there any train services out there that offer "Cocktail Cruises"? Until now the two never crossed paths in my mind and I've been on a few boat ride cocktail cruises over the years. The last one was out of Ogunquit, ME it was an hour long, which was perfect.
 #1534341  by b&m 1566

It appears they have scrapped the idea of using the RDC for these shuttle runs, my understanding is that rider ship numbers are much higher than they ever anticipated, so that's great news! They are now offering light snacks and beverages (not sure if alcohol is included or not) in their dinning cars.