Railroad Forums 

• Convert images from hi-res to web resolution?

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#484888  by atholrail

Hello, I just got my 1st Digital camera for Xmas. A Sony DSLR-A100K with a 300mm zoom lens. My problem is, after taking the photos they are to big for me to place them on any websites. Anybody know any programs or have any hints that would help? Thanks, Billy.
 #485032  by Ken W2KB

atholrail wrote:Hello, I just got my 1st Digital camera for Xmas. A Sony DSLR-A100K with a 300mm zoom lens. My problem is, after taking the photos they are to big for me to place them on any websites. Anybody know any programs or have any hints that would help? Thanks, Billy.
I would suggest Photoshop Elements which is around $100 as I recall. It has most everything you need without going to its $500 big brother Photoshop.

#485154  by EMTRailfan

If all you want to do is re-size, the software that came with my flatbed scanner (HP Image Zone) has a re-sizing feature. It has decent editing features, but not the capabilities as the Elements that Ken suggested.

#485247  by MEC407

Unless the camera you received was second-hand or refurbished, it should have come with software to resize and edit photos.

If not, there are plenty of free programs on the web that can do it, and some photo sharing web sites will do it automatically.

#491786  by Arborway

Mac users might be interested in the batch-processing capabilities of Graphic Converter

Nothing like resizing and level-adjusting 200 photos at once. :)

#492414  by RailBus63

I've found that Photoshop Elements is much more useful than the barebones utility software that came with our Canon Powershot camera. Elements has a very helpful 'Save for Web' function that allows you to resize and compress photos for web viewing. If money is a concern, pick up one of the older versions.

#493043  by dj_paige

RailBus63 wrote:I've found that Photoshop Elements is much more useful than the barebones utility software that came with our Canon Powershot camera. Elements has a very helpful 'Save for Web' function that allows you to resize and compress photos for web viewing. If money is a concern, pick up one of the older versions.
Hey, you just said that! :wink:

I like Photoshop Elements a lot for organizing my photos and for making edits to improve the quality of the photograph. Others also use it to “enhance” the photo by adding text, borders, special effects, etc. I highly recommend it if you are looking to do these things.

But ... if you are just doing a batch conversion of many files to smaller sizes and web colors, I prefer the much less costly program Irfanview. It is free! Photoshop Elements simply wasn't meant to do batch operations.

#493098  by Plate F

I have head many good things of IRFanView, but personally, I use Google's Picasa. Love it, and it is pretty fast.

#493104  by dj_paige

Adriel wrote:I have head many good things of IRFanView, but personally, I use Google's Picasa. Love it, and it is pretty fast.
I don't think I was clear.

There is a lot of overlap between Photoshop Elements and Picasa. They serve essentially the same purpose.

There is some overlap between Photoshop Elements/Picasa and Irfanview, but the Irfanview serves essentially different purposes than Photoshop Elements/Picasa. Photoshop Elements/Picasa are organizers and editors. Irfanview does some editing, but mostly it is for display and file conversion and batch operations. You probably would never use Irfanview to organize your photos, as it has none of those capabilities.

Thus ... I personally have a need for both Photoshop Elements and Irfanview. You might need both too.

#493268  by Arborway

RailBus63 wrote:I've found that Photoshop Elements is much more useful than the barebones utility software that came with our Canon Powershot camera.
I never touch the discs that come with digital cameras. The included software is universally crap.
 #549424  by mikeexplorer

If your using windows XP, Microsoft has a powertoy add-on called image resizer. Download it here.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/down ... rtoys.mspx

This way you can highlight an image, and right-click to bring up the image resize option. If you have more then one image selected it will do them as well. I use it so often it is very handy and always there without having to launch another program.
 #584378  by Otto Vondrak

Ken W2KB wrote:I would suggest Photoshop Elements which is around $100 as I recall. It has most everything you need without going to its $500 big brother Photoshop.
Good suggestion. Your final image should be something like 11x9 inches at 72dpi. If your image is greater than 72dpi, not only are you wasting pixels, but you're making a file larger than it needs to be for viewing on the Web. Photoshop had great image controls that will help you resize your images.

-otto-