Railroad Forums 

• Convention in Palmer

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#170602  by w.r.branch

Palmer will be busy again with railroaders on this coming weekend.

On Friday Sept. 30, 7:30 PM, the Palmer Public Library will host a gathering of Central Vermont RHS convention goers who'll present a slide show which is also open to the public. Tours of the new library will be given.

On Saturday the 1st, the convention will have a day-long program at the Steaming Tender Restaurant. The main dining room will be ready only for the convention but it doesn't officially open until October 15th. This will be the first big event in the restored station. It might not be too late to sign-up for the convention. Forms are available at the library and Steaming Tender.

As of today, the dining room floor has been sanded and will be varnished on Tuesday. Several restored windows will be installed with some already in. The owners are working double-time to have it ready. The interior now looks as it did before WW2 when a false ceiling was in place.

If you're wondering about the Porter: The owners now have a regular headlamp, bell, and whistle ready to install. The original stack is only shrouded by the ugly add-on which will be easy to remove. Same goes for the pilot. This restoration will be done all at once when time permits.

#170868  by SP 4449

What railroad name are they planning to put on the porter? I hope it's either B&A or CV.

#170915  by w.r.branch

Hint: I'm a B&A guy. I think I'll show them some decals and other B&A models, and the NYCSHS book of B&A engines when I talk to them some more about the restoration. Actually, I don't know what they plan to use but then there IS the power of persuasion. Now that you've asked, I'll be looking up numbers for 0-6-0's!

#170922  by SP 4449

B&A steam returns:) Since you're a B&A guy like me, perhaps you could point me in the direction of some info on the Last B&A Steam run in 1951. I've been looking for some for awhile.

Josh

#170931  by w.r.branch

The man to contact about steam on the B&A is Bob Buck, owner of Tucker's Hobbies in Warren, MA. Bob saw and photographed most of the last days of steam. He is probably the most notable B&A historian.