Railroad Forums 

• CONSTANT Spammers!

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1187827  by Otto Vondrak

I get spam messages in my forums, but I don't bother deleting them because the posters are not approved, and therefore their posts are invisible to the general public... I eventually get around to deleting them...

fight the good fight, comrades!

-otto-
 #1188397  by gprimr1

I think I've shut down the spam problem for now, at least until the stupid bots evolve.

The human spammers, no way to stop them, but I've changed the registration page security to something the bots can't figure out.

Until they evolve at least...
 #1188430  by MEC407

Nice!
 #1188944  by Jeff Smith

Every once in a while, we get a "smart" spammer who invades the individual forums.

NO MORE. Thanks to Greg Primrose, who tweaked the settings where I did not know how to, we no longer have mass spammers. We are down from 100 to 200 per day to perhaps a single spam post.

Thank you all for your patience, and please join me in thanking Greg.
 #1188949  by MEC407

Awesome! Thanks, Greg and Jeff!
 #1188951  by Jeff Smith

I only deserve thanks for referring the owner to Greg. And a certain tweet from a valued member is what spurred the owner to action; I'd been telling him since I started about the problems.

In any case, our lives should be much easier now, and I plan on not only paying more attention to the individual forums, but enhancing some of the features as well. Now that I'm not concentrating on spam prevention and deletion!
 #1188952  by Jeff Smith

And I should add thanks to the owner. He invested in the site when he bought it, and he deserves cred for investing in the site experience. He has indeed been responsive to concerns in the past regarding advertisements. He has a right to earn a return on his investment, and has done in my estimation a good job on balancing the user experience with the ads.
 #1189085  by gprimr1

Jeff Smith wrote:Every once in a while, we get a "smart" spammer who invades the individual forums.

NO MORE. Thanks to Greg Primrose, who tweaked the settings where I did not know how to, we no longer have mass spammers. We are down from 100 to 200 per day to perhaps a single spam post.

Thank you all for your patience, and please join me in thanking Greg.
Human beings, no amount of anti-spam technology can stop a human being. :(