Railroad Forums 

• CONSTANT Spammers!

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1170524  by MEC407

40 new spam messages since my last post.
 #1170529  by charlie6017

This spammer, geploypopmefe currently has 921 posts in the queue as of right now, 5:49 EST.

That doesn't include the 70-80 or so that I have deleted since late yesterday afternoon. Mr. Britton really needs
to change things in a hurry. When I volunteered to be a moderator, this was not what I had in mind!! To see the rest of the
boards we moderate, the posts that are awaiting approval in queue are there, too--clogging up the boards.

So pissed right now...........
 #1170552  by MEC407

The other bad one is "miveexceego" who, like "geploypopmefe," hails from Argentina. "miveexceego" has over 100 posts in the queue.

I'm also seeing several spammers with Russian names. Lovely.
Last edited by MEC407 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1170581  by scottychaos

charlie6017 wrote:This spammer, geploypopmefe currently has 921 posts in the queue as of right now, 5:49 EST.

That doesn't include the 70-80 or so that I have deleted since late yesterday afternoon. Mr. Britton really needs
to change things in a hurry. When I volunteered to be a moderator, this was not what I had in mind!! To see the rest of the
boards we moderate, the posts that are awaiting approval in queue are there, too--clogging up the boards.

So pissed right now...........
I have a ton of them in the LV forum too..
its too many to delete by hand this time, don't even bother..
the admin will need to do an global delete of all the posts from this particular scumbag..
(hopefully he (admin) has the technology to do a "One Touch Ban & Clean-up"..he probably does..)

Scot
 #1170631  by Adirondacker

scottychaos wrote:......
the admin will need to do an global delete of all the posts from this particular scumbag..
(hopefully he (admin) has the technology to do a "One Touch Ban & Clean-up"..he probably does..)

Scot
He probably does.

https://www.phpbb.com/support/documenta ... _users.php

Life happens. If it's a he and not a group of them, he could have other priorities at the moment.
 #1170642  by charlie6017

Adirondacker wrote:Life happens. If it's a he and not a group of them, he could have other priorities at the moment.
For the entire 2-Plus years he has owned the site??

I doubt that.........if so, then sell it to someone who CAN take care of things. PLEASE!

Charlie
 #1170648  by MEC407

Just for clarity, I believe Adirondacker was referring to the site administrator, Jeff Smith, who (to my knowledge) is not one of the owners of the site. Yes, Jeff is the one who can delete and ban people, but he's just one guy and he does have a busy life outside of RAILROAD.NET. He's also limited in his options for dealing with the spammers because of various issues that are beyond his control. Those issues could, in theory, be addressed by the site owners if they chose to be more involved and take a greater interest in the forum aspect of the site. But that's another discussion for another thread...
 #1170654  by charlie6017

Oh yeah, MEC--to be clear, I am referring to Evan Britton, and not Mr. Smith. Jeff does the best he can and I
truly feel bad for all he has to deal with in regards to all of this. I like Jeff and he has always treated me with
respect--that respect is mutual. It's Evan Britton that I have had this issue with. He never responded to my
tweet, not that I expected him to.

When I first started as moderator at this site, it was in the midst of the Mike Roque/Otto Vondrak/Jessy Stallone
ownership, and the site was a well-oiled machine. Since Evan took over this site, I don't think he has done anything
to make this site easier and more efficient for Jeff and his mods to oversee. That is the issue that I have trouble
with. Maybe I expected too much, I don't know.

Charlie
 #1170668  by MEC407

charlie6017 wrote:Since Evan took over this site, I don't think he has done anything
to make this site easier and more efficient for Jeff and his mods to oversee. That is the issue that I have trouble
with.
I have to agree. Other than plastering the site with ads from head to toe (and screwing up the forum software in the process), no improvements have been made, as far as I can tell. The ONE good decision he made was appointing Jeff as the admin. Couldn't have picked a better guy.
 #1170672  by charlie6017

MEC407 wrote:I have to agree. Other than plastering the site with ads from head to toe (and screwing up the forum software in the process), no improvements have been made, as far as I can tell. The ONE good decision he made was appointing Jeff as the admin. Couldn't have picked a better guy.
Well said, I can't stress enough that I support Jeff--and his hands are full here. It's just damned tiresome removing spam post
after spam post again and again. I don't think that was the idea of being a forum moderator. I feel bad that Jeff spends hours
deleting all the crap and everything else that he does. Poor guy probably doesn't even get much opportunity to interact with
the other members! Sorry that I keep spouting about it........just frustrating.

Charlie
 #1170823  by MEC407

I only had two spam messages in my forums this morning. Looks like Jeff has been VERY busy cleaning up this mess. Thank you, Jeff!
 #1170837  by charlie6017

MEC407 wrote:I only had two spam messages in my forums this morning. Looks like Jeff has been VERY busy cleaning up this mess. Thank you, Jeff!
I'll gladly second that. Thanks Jeff!
 #1187328  by gprimr1

I'm working with the owner to hopefully install some upgrades which will help manage the spam.
 #1187331  by MEC407

Good luck!