Railroad Forums 

• Consolidation of B Line Stations on Commonwealth Ave

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1567322  by rhodiecub2

I'm glad the "T" is finally getting around to this stop consolidation and elimination. It's about time. However, what about the E branch, Fenwood Rd and Back Of The Hill? Those two should be eliminated.
 #1567339  by bostontrainguy

rhodiecub2 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:04 pm I'm glad the "T" is finally getting around to this stop consolidation and elimination. It's about time. However, what about the E branch, Fenwood Rd and Back Of The Hill? Those two should be eliminated.
Absolutely agree. These two are not ADA compliant anyways. They should build a new ADA compliant island station at Mission Park and eliminate both of these which are really really close to much better stops.
 #1567382  by digitalsciguy

Definitely agree. Though to do that, you'd probably need to restrict curbside parking along the station alignment, just as the T is doing on Columbus Ave with the side platforms for the busway to Jackson Square. If there were ever a time that might actually be politically feasible, it's now. There's a legitimate coalition of people who would argue those benefits against the short-sighted opposition from locals over street parking.
 #1567389  by bostontrainguy

I was told long long ago that Mission Park was built the way it was so that a future trolley stop could be built there. The parking area in front was supposed to be temporary until the street was reconfigured to include an island/median through the area. It never happened of course but the potential is still there and could be done.
 #1567447  by orange1234

This was just e-mailed out to subscribers of the GLT program. Question: why couldn't the T temporarily extend C trains to Boston College via Chestnut Hill Ave.? The tracks are there, although they run on the street. Are the tracks too decrepit to support regular service?
 #1567476  by MBTA3247

Most likely it's because inbound trains on that routing would have to cut through the Reservoir yard; the connection from Chestnut Hill Ave southbound to Beacon St eastbound was removed decades ago.
 #1567479  by The EGE

BC and South Street represent about 10% of B Branch ridership; right now, that's probably less than 300 riders per day. I doubt the MBTA wants to deal with revenue service in mixed traffic, never mind laying track, for that few riders. What baffles me is that they're running trains between BC and Washington Street, rather than just busing the whole way.
 #1567500  by bostontrainguy

orange1234 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:50 pm This was just e-mailed out to subscribers of the GLT program. Question: why couldn't the T temporarily extend C trains to Boston College via Chestnut Hill Ave.? The tracks are there, although they run on the street. Are the tracks too decrepit to support regular service?
Yes. I have never seen a train go from Beacon Street up Chestnut Hill Ave. and was told that the track was not usable. However the track going up Chestnut Hill Ave is used everyday so the problem is only in the switch itself and very short connection track. Coming down Chestnut Hill Ave however has no direct easy connection without going through the yard.