Railroad Forums 

• Consolidating the reasons for locomotives smoking

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#101644  by TerryC

I thought consolidating all (or most) of the reasons why locomotives smoke into one post would make things less confusing
Last edited by TerryC on Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
 #101658  by Joe

TerryC wrote:What causes heavy smoke emissions for the most part is likely to be a failed turbocharger, turbo lag, oil getting into the fuel, the enigine being over worked, or the engine design?
Was that a question or a statement? This question has already been answered a million times. You seem to have answered you question-statement within itself. Learn some proper grammar, then use the forum "search" button.

Terry, please watch this: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Keep annoying people,
keep getting yelled at.

#101710  by emd_SD_60

I already have a thread like this in the GE forum, you'll get your answers there. :wink:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8831
"turbo-charger problems": the obvious way to produce black smoke is to use too much fuel for the amount of oxygen going to the engine. From what various people have said when questions like this have come up in the past, though, I'm not sure the problem is with the turbo (though if the engine is kept on line, it may soon be: I can't imagine huge amounts of soot are GOOD for turbos). Apparently if the piston rings fail, lube oil can get into the combustion chamber (with, once again, the result being too much carbon for not enough oxygen).
 #109068  by Aa3rt

Joe wrote:please watch this: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php
Thanks for sharing this link. While amusing, it is so true!

#109102  by crazy_nip

and again, TerryC shows his ineptness and complete disregard for other by posting stupid questions

do a search you idiot

#109248  by Avro Arrow

I think it has something to do with internal combustion taking place can someone confirm/deny

#109412  by wis bang

Avro Arrow wrote:I think it has something to do with internal combustion taking place can someone confirm/deny
Ineficient combustion...

#110154  by Robert Paniagua

and again, TerryC shows his ineptness and complete disregard for other by posting stupid questions

Yeah I know, here we go ALL OVER again with him.....

do a search you idiot

Ok, this, however, is not nice. That's a little over-insulting word, I'd tell him "Could you please do a Google Search rather than aggravate us?" This is much more polite.

And Railpac, if you're around, please monitor Mr. TerryC for his possible "trollish" conduct? Thanks alot!

#110229  by SRS125

LOL JOE Love the link!!

#129318  by AmtrakFan

Great Link Joe.

#129361  by bystander

"Question Boy" mignt be a good name for him?

#129811  by Conrail

I can see the reason for putting the reasons why locomotives blow smoke on to one topic. There is one answer there, a answer there, oh there are a few more there. It would be easier to look here than all over this forum.

#129903  by jmp883

Joe,

What an excellent link!!!!!!! :-D

Let's hope the lesson was learned.

#130191  by MEC407

Last edited by MEC407 on Tue May 24, 2005 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#130202  by jmp883

Thanks for letting me know. I changed it at work where we have huge monitors, it fit perfectly. I just looked at here, WOW, let me change it.

Thanks again! No pain-in-the-a** was intended. :-D