Railroad Forums 

• Consolidated Appropriations Act 2021 (Stimulus Bill)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1560347  by lordsigma12345

I would agree however on the other hand I also wouldn't say that the bill hints or implies that Congress is ready to begin a process of phasing out the network or that it's fine with a permanent tri weekly situation. In fact it says in the regular funding portion that Amtrak may not use any money to discontinue any long distance routes or replace services with bus service except in short term operational situations. I read the extra funding part as a stopgap until March and it has been indicated that another relief bill may come as the new administration comes into place.

On the dining front I don't think you'll see Congress ever mandate what amenities Amtrak should or needs to provide, but an earlier bill did abolish the functional portion of the John Mica provision on food service operating losses so Amtrak should be free to provide better amenities if it chooses to following the pandemic. It should be noted that Amtrak has made broad F&B cuts system wide - they haven't just been limited to the dining cars or to long distance trains. Acela's first class meals have been cut and replaced with a snack box (and I've heard reports also a free item from the cafe car.) The cafe cars themselves both on the long distance network and on corridor routes have also had substantial cuts to their menus - the fresher items with less shelf life such as sandwiches and salads have been cut and mainly the microwavable items and other items with a longer shelf life remain.

I think if another bill was to give them the rest of the money they asked for you may see a requirement to restore daily service then but with the money they provided now they really couldn't have done that in my opinion. Also, while I do want to see a return to daily service, I will concede that it probably doesn't make sense to do so before that March date.
 #1560358  by Gilbert B Norman

From the Act:
NATIONAL NETWORK GRANTS TO THE NATIONAL RAILROAD PASSENGER
CORPORATION
To enable the Secretary of Transportation to make grants to
the National Railroad Passenger Corporation for activities associated with the National Network as authorized by section 11101(b)
of the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation Act (division A
of Public Law 114–94), $1,300,000,000, to remain available until
expended: Provided, That the Secretary may retain up to an additional $2,000,000 of the funds provided under this heading to fund
expenses associated with the State-Supported Route Committee
established under section 24712 of title 49, United States Code:
Provided further, That at least $50,000,000 of the amount provided
under this heading shall be available for the development, installation and operation of railroad safety technology, including the
implementation of a positive train control system, on State-supported routes as defined under section 24102(13) of title 49, United
States Code, on which positive train control systems are not
required by law or regulation: Provided further, That none of the
funds provided under this heading shall be used by Amtrak to
give notice under subsection (a) or (b) of section 24706 of title
49, United States Code, with respect to long-distance routes (as
defined in section 24102 of title 49, United States Code) on which
Amtrak is the sole operator on a host railroad’s line and a positive
train control system is not required by law or regulation, or, except
in an emergency or during maintenance or construction outages
impacting such routes, to otherwise discontinue, reduce the frequency of, suspend, or substantially alter the route of rail service
on any portion of such route operated in fiscal year 2018
, including
implementation of service permitted by section 24305(a)(3)(A) of
title 49, United States Code, in lieu of rail service.
OK Mr. Lord; I agree. Let's accept (and I know from our Private Messages, it's with respect), you want to keep and even add to the System and I want it gone as was the unwritten intent under RPSA 70.

Now so far as Food and Beverage, even though the "Micascope" has been put away, Amtrak is enjoying the real savings that "Flex Dining" is generating. They may as well put it on the Auto Train as well. My last outing on it Jan '20, the food was "borderline vile" and the "milk bottle Red or White - limit one 125ml serving" was likewise to me. Post COVID, I could even foresee a withdrawal of the Sightseer Lounge cars simply using one end of the Diner as a "Café", as was done with both "Pioneer" and "Desert Wind". It's just one more high maintenance car to lug around, and burning up more gas doing so.

So I agree that this Act cannot be used as a means to further reduce the System; separate legislation will be needed to change frequencies.

Finally, I'm sure there is excitement within the advocacy community that "Amtrak Joe" will put a stop to any thoughts such as I admittedly hold, and may even seek expansion. But lest we forget, Joe will not be setting foot on any passenger train while incumbent, and so far as I'm concerned, he is really "Corridor Joe".

disclaimer: author Long UNP