Railroad Forums 

• Conrail Symbols

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#439943  by erielackawanna

Is there a list of Conrail two letter symbol abreviations anywhere on the web? I haven't been able to find one.

Specifically, I'm curious what IH was.

#440034  by Rockingham Racer

I believe IH was Gibson Yard, the easternmost point of the Indiana Harbor Belt RR.

#444905  by zoomdude

as far as detroit goes, here are the symbals we use depnding on the yard were at;

Rouge Yard=RR +job #
Livernois Yard=LV +job #
North Yard=NY +job #
Mack Yard=MY +job #
Mound Yard=MR +job #
Sterling Yard=WS +job #

#445070  by JimBoylan

zoomdude wrote:Rouge Yard=RR
Sterling Yard=WS +job #
Were they once River Rouge and West Sterling?

#450591  by scharnhorst

Geneva, NY-- GY Tower this was the boarder line where the Buffalo Div. and Albany Div. met.

#465119  by erielackawanna

Great site... thanks.

#465127  by Otto Vondrak

Get yourself a copy of Conrail Commodities... describes a variety of traffic that traversed the system, with an explanation of symbols. Is there some train symbol you are trying to decode?

http://www.amazon.com/Conrail-Commoditi ... 0964042509

-otto-

#465131  by erielackawanna

Otto,

Not any one in particular, but as I scan my old slides, I've got hundreds with symbols written on them. It's nice now to be able to add the additional information of where and what the train was going/was whenever I can.

I'll look into that book.

Charles

#465146  by Otto Vondrak

Conrail Commodities would explain a lot of that- the originating traffic, the connecting traffic, etc etc.

For the most part, if you have the train symbol... anyone can look it up and find out what it is. So don't worry if you don't know the symbol, someone else will!

-otto-

#465923  by erielackawanna

Okay... I'll take you up on that. First one I'm looking at is SENH. I got the SE (in fact I shot the train coming out of Selkirk). What was NH?

Never mind... should have Googled first. It's New Haven.

#468553  by Conrail Cleveland East

Here's one for you..WQST(i've only seen this symbol once,and i may have an idea what the ST is).Anyone know this train? Also,someone may have given the wrong symbol when i seen this listing..

#468556  by LCJ

W on the symbol denoted a local switcher. The Q is probably incorrect - because that letter indicated the Division (such as H for Harrisburg, or A for Albany). I don't recall any Conrail Division that started with Q. I have no idea what the ST stood for.

#468565  by Conrail Cleveland East

The "ST",as i was led to believe,was St.Thomas,Ont.This was a Canada Southern(CASO)train of years ago.We're going back in the late 70's/early 80's..

#468574  by LCJ

That explains it. Maybe the Canada Divsion used the letter Q.