Railroad Forums 

• Conrail on the Metro North Harlem Line?

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#450138  by Courtstjohn

Hello...I'm sorry if my questions on here seem redundant sometimes. I'm someone who does not know much about the railroads and I am trying to do a land records search. I know that you guys all know a great deal about railroad history and that's why I come here to ask you questions. I appreciate your help very much.

I was wondering if anyone knew if Consolidated Rail Coproration ever owned a portion Metro North's Harlem Line in Westchester, specifically North Castle. All the land records indicate that they never did but Ihave a map for an easement here that sites them as the Reputed Owner of a portion of the Harlem Line in North Castle in the year 1989. I'm hoping that this is just a mistake. I know that they have operating rights and other rights along the Hudson Line but I just didn't think that they ever owned a portion of the Metro North's Harlem line. Can anyone help?

#450143  by JimBoylan

It may not be the case here, but there were some places where a transit authority, etc., wasn't ready to pay on ConRail day, April 1, 1976, so ConRail bought the property from the bankrupt railroad and, maybe later in 1983, sold to the passenger operator. I'm sure there are other variations to help the map makers and tax collectors generate mistakes.
 #450158  by Courtstjohn

I think you're right. I think the mapmaker made a mistake because of Conrail having some fright service liabilities and reponsiblities in the area.