Railroad Forums 

• Conrail Logo

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#68180  by MR77100

What is Conrail's logo supposed to be? I call it the "can opener" logo.

#68214  by LCJ

It's supposed to represent steel wheels on steel rails....

#71230  by MR77100

When did the Quality scheme emerge?

#71259  by LCJ

I believe it was 1990 or 1991.

#71287  by charlie6017

I think all new locomotives around then received the Conrail Quality scheme starting with the newer #6100-series safety-cab C40-8Ws, then the SD60Ms and SD60I's and so on.

#77297  by Otto Vondrak

Who designed the Conrail logo? And when was "ConRail" replaced with the can-opener?

ConRail logo used in early ads and planning in 1975-1976

Conrail "can-opener"

-otto-

#77310  by emd_SD_60

LCJ wrote:It's supposed to represent steel wheels on steel rails....
That's correct.

#77349  by LCJ

Uh huh.

#77433  by CRail

i dont see steel wheels on steel rails.

#77479  by LCJ

CRail wrote:i dont see steel wheels on steel rails.
OK. Thanks for your input.

#77508  by CRail

LCJ wrote:
CRail wrote:i dont see steel wheels on steel rails.
OK. Thanks for your input.
Wondering if there was a further explaination, i dont see it, could it be clarified????

#77513  by LCJ

The logo was described by the agency that created it as a "stylized" steel wheels on steel rails representation. The round parts are supposed to be the wheels, the straight parts the rails.

Maybe you have to squint your eyes when you look at it..... :wink:

#77535  by scottychaos

just whipped this up! :-D

#77560  by emd_SD_60

I guess that says it all... :wink:

But what's with the outer ring? It's basically riding on the ties (the bottom of the rail part)...

#77683  by LCJ

I always figured the "outer ring" as the the wheel closest to the viewer, with the smaller one being the distant wheel on its own rail -- sort of in hyperperspective.

Each "wheel" is on a rail, but both wheels have a quarter section missing (yikes!) -- and the "rails" end/begin very suddenly on the edge of the broken wheel sections.

As I stated above, it's stylized, and not intended to portray a true-to-life image.