#88110  by pumpers

How is the Newark freight branch (ex Erie line) accessed? From
what yard?

Do trains go up the NJT main line, and then reverse at the
connection between the main line and the newark branch around
south paterson? Or is there a wye?

JS
 #88127  by Butlershops

I think Paterson and occasionally Suffern crews service the line.

#88184  by riffian

There is no wye......branch is accessed from the North by Suffern based local H55. One customer remaining at the current end of the branch in Newark which takes tank cars of asphalt.

#90015  by MickD

How often do they go down the NB these days?

#90072  by sullivan1985

MickD wrote:How often do they go down the NB these days?
I think they do a job or two per month during night time hours. The line is still used though for sure because grade crossings are kept in shape and the line for such an old line is still in semi-good shape for the most part.

Imagine NJt decided it was going to be like the EL out of nowhere and reactiviated service over NX Draw and ran commuter train into Hoboken again through Nutley? It would require a complete rebuild of the line and the Boonton Line would have to be fixed up as well, but I can still dream :-P

#90091  by Lackawanna484

sullivan1985 wrote:
MickD wrote:How often do they go down the NB these days?
I think they do a job or two per month during night time hours. The line is still used though for sure because grade crossings are kept in shape and the line for such an old line is still in semi-good shape for the most part.

Imagine NJt decided it was going to be like the EL out of nowhere and reactiviated service over NX Draw and ran commuter train into Hoboken again through Nutley? It would require a complete rebuild of the line and the Boonton Line would have to be fixed up as well, but I can still dream :-P
are the tracks still in place between schuyler avenue in kearny and the NYGL connection? Last time I was on route 7, it looked like they had been pulled, but I only had a quick look.

That could be a nice alignment for the light rail from Newark northward to Clifton, there's still a lot of light industry jobs etc along the route, even if few of them take rail anymore

#90151  by 7 Train

Imagine NJt decided it was going to be like the EL out of nowhere and reactiviated service over NX Draw and ran commuter train into Hoboken again through Nutley? It would require a complete rebuild of the line and the Boonton Line would have to be fixed up as well, but I can still dream
NX Draw has been "open" for over 20 years. It hasn't been inspected/certified by the US Coast Guard in that time either. If the line was to be reactiviated, the bridge would have to be rebuilt or replaced.
 #90415  by MikeW

I thunk they pulled up one set of tracks. At least thats what it looked like the last time I drove by West Hudson Park. But I could be wrong.

#90474  by Ken W2KB

MY recollection, too. One track. The bridge has only one of the two left.

#90539  by ryanov

If the bridge were lowered, would trains actually be able to use it (barring the need for inspections)? Isn't there also some track missing, or am I remembering incorrectly?

#90551  by NY&LB

The Bridge over the Passaic River has two tracks. Access on both sids is cut, on the Newark side there is a trucking company encroached on the ROW and on the Kearny side there are some concrete NJ Highway barriers across the tracks.

#90598  by Ken W2KB

If I recall correctly, the bridge has the second track but one of the two is missing the special section of rail at the end that mates with the fixed rail on the abutment. Only one track was in use at the time the bridge stopped being used; the other track had the maintenance intensive section of track removed.

The tracks are probably just buried under a thin layer of dirt on the Newark side, but to be used might well need new ties, etc. The truck company is likely leasing (or maybe simply trespassing) the ROW.