Railroad Forums 

• Conemaugh line in CR times

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#790073  by iceman977th

Anyone have any pics/vids/stories/history on the Conemaugh line, particularly in the Freeport/Leechburg/Hyde Park/Vandergrift area? I know it used to be double tracked and still sees a lot of traffic, but I'm interested on what it was before my time. :)
 #868854  by Roscoe P. Coaltrain

You can check out this accident report of a 3-train collision that happened in Saltsburg in 1984.

http://ntl1.specialcollection.net/scrip ... -85-02.pdf

A train operating by the use of 'C lights' due to broken cab signals rear ended a stopped train, and the debris derailed a third train that was passing.

Conrail was criticized for storing recession-idled cars on one of the two main tracks of the Conemaugh line as a contributing factor. The struck train was waiting for the only open track.