Railroad Forums 

• concrete ties

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #843996  by superbad

Why does NS seem to be so hesitant about the use of concrete ties? It seems that they are the only class I railroad not using them someplace on their system.
 #853199  by gettingrey

From what I see on the UP double main across Iowa they don't hold up very well where there are crossovers, or bridges, or unstable ground.
 #854879  by superbad

I had read in railwayage.com that as Class I has made a very large purchase of plastic railroad ties, but it made no mention of which one.. I know NS has been experimenting with them, I wonder if it is NS?
 #855673  by possum

NS is presently renewing concrete ties around milepost 199,between HuntingdonandMill Creek, Pa
 #856980  by jgallaway81

That would be the location of a specialized detector, which identifies itself as NS - S-S-D, MP 198.
 #877292  by Flat-Wheeler

superbad wrote:I had read in railwayage.com that as Class I has made a very large purchase of plastic railroad ties, but it made no mention of which one.. I know NS has been experimenting with them, I wonder if it is NS?

Well, if they are the purchaser, I guess the fact they ignite and burn quite easily and in fact killed a crew and roasted multiple units on a creek bridge outside of Mobile last summer doesn't matter that much to them . Don't wanna weld or cut rail around these plastic ties.