Railroad Forums 

• CONCRETE TIES

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#534271  by David Benton

They have had problems with concrete ties in the central north island here , installed about 20 years ago . there would be no polluiton there , but it would be wet . However i think i read the problem was with the concrete used at that time .

#540812  by scharnhorst

Concrete ties have been in use in parts of Siberia for a few years and there has been no problums with them with the extream cold of the Russian winter.

Anyways on to the U.S.A. I my self have seen a good number of Amtrak Gondolas going West empty and comeing back East with conrete ties. On occaion an 89' Flat with pannel track also pops up with concrete ties going east as well.
 #540875  by henry6

Thanks for the responses. From what I gather here and in other conversations is that Amtrak and MNRR got stuck with a bad order from one manufacturer at one time and that concrete ties are working well in most other places.

#540898  by pennsy

That probably is the case. The west coast seems to be replacing trackage with all concrete ties routinely. You usually see lengths of trackage, concrete ties, piled up on one another in various spots along the ROW, and slowly but surely they are used to replace sections of worn out track and wooden ties. :-D
 #550378  by scharnhorst

I wonder with the age of concrete ties slowley comeing in. Would this be a sign of cost cutting in the number of jobs with the tie gangs on some of these railroads that are installing them??