Railroad Forums 

• Concord and Claremont Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1314555  by Allouette

The only customer ever on the abandoned section was Suburban Propane. I think the siding was last used around 1994. Functional end of track is a bit past MP 141 at the western end of the bridge over the Mascoma just east of the Glen Rd overpass. There are (or were yesterday) a bunch of salt hoppers on the main behind the Irving plant.
 #1315111  by Rockingham Racer

thebigham wrote:^No, it's the line in West Lebanon, NH. Near White River Jct...

.97 miles is being abandoned.
That section of railroad used to be the Northern Division of the B&M. I wasn't aware that the C&C ran on it.
 #1315377  by newpylong

Yeah it hasn't been used in forever, there are zero possible customers and converting it to trail to meet the Northern rail trail is in line with the State's vision.

Keep in mind, though I doubt we will see this ever, this whole corridor is owned by the state and continues to be included in Boston to Montreal High Speed rail studies. The leaser is just abandoning freight rights, the ROW isn't going anywhere.
 #1315411  by BandA

Does removing the rails increase the cost of using this for "hi-speed rail", given that the track and ties would have to be completely replaced anyway?
 #1315545  by newpylong

BandA wrote:Does removing the rails increase the cost of using this for "hi-speed rail", given that the track and ties would have to be completely replaced anyway?
Same cost, just a question of who pays for it and when. Either way they would need to come out - unusable for anything but Class I.
 #1328542  by thebigham

Look at this great pic of the C&C in Bradford in April 1964:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Claremont-Conco ... 2c9a265196" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now look at what i think is kind of the present day location:

http://tinyurl.com/lh5nvgt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The highway is now on the exC&C grade.