Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#782513  by electricron

How many Bombardier BiLevel cars does Metrolink have now in their roster?
What I found is this web site, is it anywhere close to being accurate?
http://www.rapidtransit-press.com/metrolink.html

From that site, here's Metrolink's equipment roster:
Bombardier BiLevel coach = 111 (8 of which have been involved in accidents with 7 retired)
Bombardier BiLevel cab = 37 (5 of which have been involved in accidents with 4 retired)
Looks like just 104 Bombardier BiLevel coach and 33 Bombardier BiLevel cab cars are still in active service.

All the other MetroLink equipment has been leased. Still around are:
4 Bombardier BiLevel coach cars leased from Sound Transit.
2 Bombardier BiLevel cab cars leased from Sound Transit.
2 Bombardier BiLevel coach cars leased from Altamount Commuter Express.
2 Bombardier BiLevel cab cars eased from Altamount Commuter Express.
Looks like 6 Bombardier BiLevel coach and 4 Bombardier BiLevel cab cars are leased and in service today.

That results in a total of 110 Bombardier coach and 37 Bombardier cab cars (total of 147 Bombardier railcars) are in service today.

Also leased are single level ex-NJT Comet I cars from:
8 coach cars from UTA (which have been placed into service)
9 cab cars from NJT (which have not been placed into service)
7 Comet coach cars from NJT (which have not been placed into service)

The Hyundai-Rotem order for new 59 BiLevel coach and 56 BiLevel cab cars (total of 115 new railcars) meets the following percentages of existing equipment; approximately 53% of the BiLevel coach and 150% of the BiLevel cab cars. The BiLevel fleet being replaced is 78%, assuming all the old equipment is being replaced as the new arrives. Which apparently isn't going to happen immediately, if Bombardier cab cars are going to be refurbished into coach cars. Therefore, looking at this from an expansion point of view, Metrolink is increasing the active fleet's size to 178% of what it is today.
 #785826  by Wattz

electricron wrote:What I found is this web site, is it anywhere close to being accurate?
http://www.rapidtransit-press.com/metrolink.html
For what I've been able to account for, the site is usually accurate. Might be a bit off from time to time, but I've noticed it's usually updated within a week or two.
electricron wrote:7 Comet coach cars from NJT (which have not been placed into service)
A day or two before your post (I think it was Thursday), I saw one of the NJT comets running a southbound morning AV line service near Soledad Sulfur Springs. I don't know the coach number or such, I only saw it while driving on SR-14 across the river...
 #803374  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Interesting look at Metrolink's new cab cars noting especially the new color scheme.
I feel they need brighter colors on those front ends-like red/white zebra stripes (like Metra's) across the lower part of the front ends under the number.
The gray around the cab area could even use some reflectorized striping because it just isn't that visible to me...
At least Metrolink will keep and convert the Toronto-style Bombardier cab cars to straight coaches instead of retiring them.
...Thoughts from MACTRAXX
 #803716  by ExCon90

It wouldn't hurt to do the whole front end in a brilliant yellow. The Yellowbirds in Philadelphia stood out easily even when a long distance away--more so, I thought, than the zebra stripes of NJT or MTA. Of course drivers and trespassers who don't look up won't see them no matter what color they are.
 #803822  by DutchRailnut

When you got 4 x 200 000 Candella in lights peeking at you, it realy does not matter what color the car is, as nobody will see it till its to late.
 #803829  by Kaback9

DutchRailnut wrote:When you got 4 x 200 000 Candella in lights peeking at you, it realy does not matter what color the car is, as nobody will see it till its to late.
Exactly. I just think they look ugly but like I said if they work thats all that matters.
 #805956  by Wattz

jmlaboda wrote:There's nothing ugly about saving lives...
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=2045614
Funny, that very same photo arrived in my inbox a day or two after the unveiling.

Anyways, I must say that I like the new coaches, aside from the engine black on the cab-car. I do hope the seats are comfortable, since that's my main excuse for riding. :)