Railroad Forums 

• Complaints about tracks signs? Millstone branch.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1495206  by carajul

[attachment=0]IMG_0802.PNG[/attachment]

Took a ride to check out the Millstone branch in Franklin Twp today. Needless to say it hasn't seen a turn of the wheels in 20 years and the tracks are not even recognizable. They have been paved over on Clyde Rd and Veronica Rd. Crossbucks removed.

Interesting there are professionally made highway signs at each crossing that say "FOR RAILROAD TRACK CONCERNS CALL CONRAIL 856-231-2020"

I've never seen such signage before. Who would have put them up there? Perhaps the municipality did as they kept getting complaints from motorists about the rough xing. And I though NS owned the branch now not CR. The signs were not there last year.
 #1495541  by carajul

I think CRSA embargoed the line west of Rt 27. From 1972-2001 no use and from 2002-present no use. Idk why the line was never abandoned past Rt 27. When Herman started getting shipments CR heavily rehabbed the line. Theu even replaced the switch to the warehouse on Veronica Ave and I dont understand why because there are huge A/C units built over the siding! There is no way the line is paying for itself (taxes, maint, etc) being used for a 3 yr period over the past 45 years!
 #1495952  by Ken W2KB

carajul wrote:I think CRSA embargoed the line west of Rt 27. From 1972-2001 no use and from 2002-present no use. Idk why the line was never abandoned past Rt 27. When Herman started getting shipments CR heavily rehabbed the line. Theu even replaced the switch to the warehouse on Veronica Ave and I dont understand why because there are huge A/C units built over the siding! There is no way the line is paying for itself (taxes, maint, etc) being used for a 3 yr period over the past 45 years!
The taxes may be minimal. Taxation is by the State, not the municipality, and the valuation for tax purposes is what the property could be sold for in an arms length transaction. That value may be minimal as (1) there is no revenue being generated as an operating railroad so no-one would buy it to provide rail service, and (2) what use would have value other than use as a utility right of way. The latter begs the question, is there any utility infrastructure in the right of way which provides revenue to the railroad which covers at least the costs? There is also the possibility that the railroad retains the property for future use should a customer materialize or a utility wishes to purchase it.
 #1495975  by carajul

Interesting point. I cannot see a utility using it as the track stub ends at Clyde Rd. Interestingly, CR only bought the row up to Clyde Rd. Over the years, Penn Central sold the rest of the row from Clyde out to the millstone river. Most was purchased by home owners whose property butted up against it and some was purchased by the municipality. The entire row property is still in a thin strip of land shape. And they row between the current endnof track to S Middlebush Rd was pirchased by some Indian couple for almost $800,000. Idk what people would do with it lol.