Railroad Forums 

• Commuter train coming to Manchester, NH

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#179152  by TPR37777

Didn't you know what a transportation nexus Wilton is?

Captains of industry.....more like Gilligan and the Skipper too.

#179254  by Ejen34

MEC407 wrote: ....that haven't been upgraded with government funds......
Shame on you :)

#183679  by NHN1757

It appears to me that this is another brilliant attempt to get their right of ways upgraded at no charge to them, which makes a lot of sense from a business standpoint.

Guilford was quoted in a newspaper article quite a while back saying that they would be open to passenger service on their portion of the former Eastern Route.

Going to Wilton is a good idea, last time I was out in Milford it was clear that it was a growing town.

From a business standpoint, getting the NH Division, the Hillsborough Branch, and the Eastern or Hampton Industrial upgraded with someone elses money makes a lot of sense for them.

Unfortunately, because of Guilford's business practices in the past, and the fact that they held up the DownEaster for ten years, one should think twice before jumping into bed with them.

Passenger service to Nashua would be over MBTA trackage to the state line then over G trackage north.

Since NH is going to drag this out as long as they can because they simply don't want to spend the money, it would seem to me that there would be merit to taking half the right of way by eminent domain. I believe that the NH Division was double tracked up to Manchester, if I am wrong, please correct me. If that is the case, it would be nice to have G out of the picture and have the state of NH own the right of way.

Unfortunately, NH does not like rail. It wouldn't surprise me if this never happened.

The folks in Nashua would probably do better bribing some officials in Tyngsboro to have a commuter rail station put in just below the NH border so NH people wouldn't have to drive down to Lowell.

#184313  by rb

Don't forget the unique State of NH-S&J Trailways relationship...that's part of the reason why NH still refuses to fund the Downeaster.

#184332  by MEC407

It's hilarious that the owner of C&J Trailways hates the Downeaster and the fact that local, state, and federal governments invest in it... and yet C&J's buses are owned by NH, C&J's roads are owned by NH, C&J gets to use train stations owned by NH towns... and he thinks they're getting a bad deal?
 #185122  by Cosmo

Sorry guys, but since Mr.Gunn was fired it looks like there "won't be no money from nobody fer nuttin!"
Grummmblemumblegrmmrrrllrrrrr

#185410  by FatNoah

"won't be no money from nobody fer nuttin!
Actually, just the opposite may be true. Bush et. al. want to do away with the federally funded national rail network and replace it with regional rail consortiums. As we all know, the federal government will end up paying for these or will provide matching funds on some level. This may make Manchester-Boston rail service more feasible to NH officials. The Bush administration, eager to prove that regional consortiums can work may help expedite the process.

Or it could just be the end of national rail service all together... :(