Railroad Forums 

• Commuter Railroad acccident October 30th 1972

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#59287  by NJTRailfan

I heard that 40 people were killed on the two trains and a couple hundred were injured durign rush hour whne a larger bi level train hit a single level train. what exactly happened? I saw one picture and there were cars from both tains crushed and mangled beyond recognition.

#59476  by AmtrakFan

I can help you but Can I get back to you later on this?

AmtrakFan

#59699  by NJTRailfan

alright. Do you have any articles with pics of the disaster? I only saw one so far and it looked quite bad.
 #59855  by 2nd trick op

The accident happened too late to be included in those compiled on the FRA's website, but I remember the principal cause being listed as the crew of the first train overshooting a scheduled stop, then backing up against the current of traffic on trackage signalled for one direction only. This practice is strictly forbidden without train orders (Form D in current practice) in anybody's Book of Rules.

The severity of the carnage was magnified by the fact that the following train was one of the older "squarehead" MU's, and telescoped the wider, taller, lighter, thinner-skinned "Highliner".

As an afterthought, I believe NJT issued special restrictions delaying implementation of new equipment on the former DL&W lines in the late 1970's until enough had arrived to preclude a similar accident involving the aged Lackawanna MU's.